Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

M37 Build Records from Chrysler

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I signed up for VPW's email updates a few months back and they're pretty good. I like the update on new parts that are available, and the other day the email said the following;

"A few months back we gave you the information to be able to contact Chrysler to receive the build record for your old Power Wagon, Dodge Truck or Car. This past week we received an email from a customer who had his mail to Chrysler returned undeliverable, so we called our contact at Chrysler. The US Postal Service has changed the zip code, and here is the information again with the correct zip code. To receive the build record information on your old Dodge Truck(up to 1954) or Dodge Car(up to 1964) send $25 with the year of the vehicle, model and VIN to: Chrysler Historical Collection, 12501 Chrysler Drive, Detroit MI, 48288. In the lower left hand corner of the front of the envelope put: CIMS 410-11-21. This will get the envelope to the person at Chrysler who can handle this request for you. Please also make sure to include, clearly written or typed your complete mailing address and telephone number."

I emailed VPW to find out if this information was available for M37's or just the civilian models, but haven't heard back. I'll give them a call this week when I get a minute.....but I'm wondering if any of you guys have used this service to find out info on your M37. If you have let me know.........or if you know for sure this doesn't apply to M37's let me know that too.

thanks,
bob
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Re: M37 Build Records from Chrysler

Post by mike_l »

I sent my letter out today. Some time back, I thought I'd read something on one of the PW forums that someone with an M37 sent off and got a build record. I've been meaning to since I first heard of it and the VPW email reminded me of it. If someone doesn't chime in, I'll let you know how mine went.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Thanks Mike. I did a little digging and here's the web page to get the info. There's also a link to form that needs to be filled out.
Think I'm going to give this a whirl myself.

thanks,
bob

http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/company ... cords.aspx
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Mike......I just got this reply back from VPW......I knew it was too good to be true. :( But I think I'm still going to try it.

"Robert, that information is for the civilian trucks as the military vehicles were ordered in contract lots and records were not kept other than that."
Steve

regards,
bob
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Well, I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I have my phone number on it so maybe I'll be getting a call. I'll post what happens.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

When I bought my truck in 1989 the below sheets were supplied by
the local FD.
Rick

Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Greetings all,

I received my build card today from Chrysler. Sent it in on the 9th, received it back on the 16th, not bad return time.

The copy isn't that great and the letter accompanying it apologizes for the crappy quality. I guess their old microfiche has seen better days. Anyway, it is nice to see the document with my frame number from the factory. Interestingly, it has the Army's registration number written on it. That is pretty cool and it validates the numbers that were on the truck when I got it.

They also sent a copy of what looks like chapter 1 and the LO from the 1955 edition of TM 9-80303.

Now, if I could only understand all the numbers and punch marks.... Still pretty cool.

I think I'll write them back and see if they have any information on the pintle change.

Milstencil, that is a neat document. Wish I could trace the provenance better on my truck.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Mike,

Thanks for posting. I'll be sending in my request tomorrow!!

regards,
bob
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

mike_l wrote:Greetings all,

I received my build card today from Chrysler. Sent it in on the 9th, received it back on the 16th, not bad return time.

The copy isn't that great and the letter accompanying it apologizes for the crappy quality. I guess their old microfiche has seen better days. Anyway, it is nice to see the document with my frame number from the factory. Interestingly, it has the Army's registration number written on it. That is pretty cool and it validates the numbers that were on the truck when I got it.

They also sent a copy of what looks like chapter 1 and the LO from the 1955 edition of TM 9-80303.

Now, if I could only understand all the numbers and punch marks.... Still pretty cool.

I think I'll write them back and see if they have any information on the pintle change.

Milstencil, that is a neat document. Wish I could trace the provenance better on my truck.
can you post a scan of it?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Sent my request form in today.......we'll see when I get a reply. :D

regards,
bob
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Well...........it came in the mail today. Chrysler Historical says they received my request on Jan 5th, so it took almost 4 weeks to get my build sheet. I've got to get the animals fed and ready for the ridiculously cold temps tonight, but after that I'll scan the build sheet and post it here.

later,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

w30bob wrote:Hi Guys,

Well...........it came in the mail today. Chrysler Historical says they received my request on Jan 5th, so it took almost 4 weeks to get my build sheet. I've got to get the animals fed and ready for the ridiculously cold temps tonight, but after that I'll scan the build sheet and post it here.

later,
bob
From the Chrysler Historical Services website: "It may take up to 4-6 weeks to complete your request once it is received by the Historical Services office."

If I'm remembering correctly, the Chrysler archive service is performed by volunteers (I think they're Chrysler retirees, and some of them likely head south during the snow season), so four weeks in the middle of the winter isn't too bad.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Elwood,

I'm not bitchin'......I just found it funny that Mike got his in 9 days......and it took mine 28 days (from the day I mailed it). :shock:
So here it is..........not very clear or easy to read, but Chrysler says in its cover letter that this is as good as it gets. Now I've got to get my other M's title transferred to my name so I can send that one in.

Enjoy,
bob

RedTruck Build Sheet011MOD2 by w30bob, on Flickr
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Sorry, I didn't intend to suggest you were, Bob. When I ordered my build card, I think it was about a month, too.

Since we're posting cards, here's mine, with a couple of questions:

Interesting that the last digit of the machine printed engine serial number "60260" was hand overwritten with a "4". I haven't checked to see what serial number is on the block currently in the frame, but I wonder if it was common for the assembly guys to install engines out of sequence?

Also, does anyone know what the "G. F. I." (in front of the word "BATTERY") in the middle of the card means?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Elwood,

Normally GFI means Government Furnished Information and GFE means Government Furnished Equipment. There was a point in time when the M37s were upgraded, maybe when that happened the build cards reflected that. Just a guess on my part.

regards,
bob