M37 Build Records from Chrysler

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 Build Records from Chrysler

Post by w30bob »

Well...........it sucks that you have to wait until April........but at least they'll take what you have as proof of ownership. When I got my build card I sent an email to VPW, who told me that Chrysler didn't offer build sheets for M37s. They're going to post that in an upcoming new parts available notification. Then those poor folks at Chrysler Historical will be even busier!!

regards,
bob
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Sorry about the late reply. Here is a scan (slightly enhanced) of my build card for truck #80261105, Army Reg #2441900, built 25 FEB and delivered 1 MAR 1954.

I also have the Army registration number (hood number) hand written on the card before it was microfiched.

Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting. How did you get a delivery date from the card..........I don't see it?

thanks,
bob
Chris P
CPL
CPL

Post by Chris P »

The build date is in the lower left hand corner. It is just barely legible in this example. Unfortunately, it is totaly illegible in the one I received.
Chris P
1954 M37
MVPA
MHCC
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Chris P wrote:The build date is in the lower left hand corner. It is just barely legible in this example. Unfortunately, it is totaly illegible in the one I received.
I think that Bob was asking about the "1 MAR 1954" delivery date that Mike quoted. I couldn't find it on the build card (or one on my build card from page 1), so I assumed that Mike found that info somewhere else (glovebox door data plate, maybe?)
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Yeah, I was thinking the delivery date (not build date) was on the build card and I just wasn't finding it. Turns out it's stamped into one of the data plates on the glove box door.

regards,
bob
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Yes, sorry to omit that. I got my delivery date from my data plate on the glovebox and just added it to the build card data.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
combat32
PVT
PVT

Post by combat32 »

From what I have read here I guess they can't provide build cards for the B 1's made in the 60's, is this correct?
TOM
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Tom,

That's according to VPW.......who was wrong in the first place about Chrysler not sending the info for M37s. I'd just send Chrysler a note asking if they have info for 60's M's (include your frame SN) ....or just send them the info and a check. If they don't have the info they'll return it to you. It really is good info to have, so if it were me I'd investigate further.

As for VPW....I emailed them when I got my info telling them that Chrysler does in fact provide the info for M37s....and that they should let others know via their email updates. They said they would......but never did. Go figure. But thanks for reminding me about this.........I have another M I want the build card for and I put this on the back burner due to the April delay. Time to get my butt in gear and get the info for it.

thanks,
bob
combat32
PVT
PVT

Post by combat32 »

Thanks Bob, I believe I will send in a request and see what happens. Worst that can happen is that they return my money,
TOM
Jim Branson
PFC
PFC

Post by Jim Branson »

I sent my request for my build card on July 29th, received by chrysler august 4th, with a letter dated august 20th and copy of the build card. The build card was hand written with serial number (80008886), motor number (t245-3972) and Army number (2372116). That was it! There were no punch outs on the card and Chrysler wrote " In your situation, the build card for some reason was not filled out completely years ago, resulting in missing information. I am including what we can with the return of your check."

I was hoping for more info but it was worth a try. Surprised they sent my check back!

Jim
1951 M37 W/W
1961 M201B1 W/W
MVPA #31454
I was Chrysler when Chrysler wasn't cool!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Jim,

Don't despair......other than a few obvious codes that would be punched out we have no idea how to decifer the rest of what's punched on our cards. No one has found the secret decoder ring that explains the codes on the card.......so although it's nice to have a copy of a punched card, you probably know as much about your truck from the card as the rest of us do. My main reason for getting the copy was to find out the hood numbers, which it did provide.

regards,
bob
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Sent my request last week. Will let you know what they send me
Gerry

53 M37
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

G.F.I. for that battery on the build card = Government Furnished Item.
Meaning the Gov furnished the battery and Dodge installed it (so they had no liability for that item).
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

I got my build card today and it said truck was built in Mexico City, Mexico and it gave a date of Aug 1941. Any one else have this happen??? Did any M37 get built in Mexico?
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37