Pertronix Module Installed

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Pertronix Module Installed

Post by HingsingM37 »

After having the Pertronix kit for nearly a year I got around to installing it in the distributor this weekend :D :
http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=11034

I ran out of time and could not get the distributor re-installed. I plan to do that this week. I will keep you posted on the results :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Cal_Gary

Re: Pertronix Module Installed

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yeah, i want to do that upgrade one of these days-just haven't had the cash lately.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

Very worthwhile upgrade, had mine for a few years now and never failed.

Stu
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

That looks like the GI kits they came out with for the M151 back in the late 80's.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Re: Pertronix Module Installed/up and running

Post by HingsingM37 »

Hello gang,

Wednesday night I put the distributor back in and cranked the engine over. She sputtered and ran rough. I did not have enough time to set the timing as I had to fix the John Deere. I just wanted to make sure the kit and my installation was going to work.
Yesterday afternoon I set the timing a 4BTDC and buttoned her up. I had noticed my previous chalk mark on the pulley was at 2BTDC. I was eager to hit the road and see the difference if any in the engine. It was a beautiful fall day in Ohio, sunny and about 55. The wife said it would be a nice day for a drive. What a coincedence that I had to test drive the M :D
I could already notice a difference in throttle response just pulling out of the driveway. We got out on the road and it was like a whole different engine, much more responsive and perky, well as perky as 78HP gets :lol: . We put about 40 miles on the truck enjoying the rolling hills and fall colors. We stopped at the store on the way back to the house. I really noticed a big difference on hot re-start, fired right up as opposed to the 4-5 seconds of cranking before. Overall I am impressed with this kit, and I highly recommend this upgrade :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

mylo219

Recoil: Pertronix Module Installed

Post by mylo219 »

Did you change the coil ? Is what did you use and where to get one
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING,
I switched to the Petronix a couple of weeks ago, I agree its a whole different animal. Runs smoother and the starts are right on. Seems more responsive, I usually ran her at aront 40, now I get to 40 and she seems to want more. Very pleased and a easy install.
BOB
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Mylo,

Yes, I installed a new coil while I was in there. Part number SB124 from Newstar/S&S truck parts is the 24VDC coil. They are aftermarket and decent quality. M-Series Rebuild stocks these . :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

mylo219

Re: Ciol spec Pertronix Module Installed

Post by mylo219 »

Thanks Hingsing....just what I wanted to kno
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

is it a REQUIREMENT to replace the coil if one buys and installs this pertronix module?

I am running a completly stock setup today (points/condensor) and stock 24v coil.

just wondering if I need to buy a different coil if I choose to buy and install the pertronix.

will the truck rn wit hthe stock coil or not?
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I did not replace the old 24V coil and have had no problems.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

excellent. thank you.. I went ahead and bought the pertronix module from Advanced auto yesterday, like one of the other postings members wrote. got the 20% discount too :)

anyway, I have always used the Pertronix in past rigs and liked the reliability and performance.. this is my first M series, 24 volt MV so working on it is all new to me.

Speaking of which: I looked at the photo on the VPW website and the module they sell (for about 185) looks different than the module that Advanced Auto sells.

the Advanced Autos unit looks to have the full mounting plate. It also appears as if the member on this site who posted the photo of his installed in his distro, got the one from advanced auto.

looks pretty straight forward.. two wires and mount the plate to the inside of the distro with two screws...

i assume one uses the stock rotor?

thanks!
keyslammer
PVT
PVT

Post by keyslammer »

Can somebody post the correct Pertronix distributor kit (or parts) for a 1953 M37? Everybody raves about this upgrade, but I'm having a difficult time tracking down the correct setup.

Thanks!

Keyslammer
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

MV161A
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776