Carburettor question

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Matth70

Re: Carburettor question

Post by Matth70 »

This thread must get visited alot!!
My M43 has been a pain with the carb, but i may have just found the issue.
I've set the float level several times, and after a rebuild it will only run with choke.
I have been having lots of flooding before.

Problem I have just found is the main body gasket is different in the rebuild kit (5 main body gaskets, none the same as the old one) and doesn't seal the idle circuit so instead of drawing fuel its drawing fresh air from outside, hence why adjusting the idle screw makes no difference.
I just need the rain to stop to put it back on with the original gasket and seen if my theory is right.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I expect you also have bottom casting issues. 99.99% of what we see here are not ground to precision flat. We precision grind these surfaces on each one we build, takes care of having to run with the choke partially on in almost every case, however there could be other issues also in play. We look at and attend to many other potential problems that most often never get looked at during routine rebuilds. If you need a professionally built carb, we can certainly help with that.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Matth70

Post by Matth70 »

This has worked! It now starts and runs and the idle circuit works. Still need to tune it when I can find a working timing light :? but at least it starts and runs without needing choke to stay on.
Ideally I need to get a correct main body gasket, the kit I got had 4 variants, none of which are correct.