VPW Stainless Steel Fuel Tank

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: VPW Stainless Steel Fuel Tank

Post by Elwood »

Ez8, thanks for posting that write-up. Good stuff.

When you noted that the new VPW stainless tank is "slightly wider than the old tank, which makes installing the straps a fun experience," did you mean that the notches in the new tank are set slightly wider apart than the notches in the seam of the OEM style tank? If not, I'm not clear as to how a wider overall tank shape would affect strap installation?

Does the larger size of the VPW tank translate into a measurable increase in capacity? The email announcing these new tanks that VPW sent out last year made no mention of addition volume.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

My apologies on that. When I say "wider" I mean front to back as it is oriented in the vehicle. Calling it longer didn't sound right in my head. What this means is that your straps need to be re-bent to accommodate the girth of fuel tank. Or, you could make new straps with flat steel. If you reuse your old straps you'll need longer bolts on the back end and some spacers to make sure it snugs up to the frame correctly.
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

For $750 that is disappointing. Mine will be here tomorrow I will report back.
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry