M37 Canvas

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: M37 Canvas

Post by NAM VET »

I ordered a top in canvas from Mona at NewLife, should have it in a week or so. Takes about two months for her to sew it up. As for "old'" OEM canvas, I recently bought from the maker of my Replica M1919, Rogue Island Arsenal, a new canvas gun cover. It came tightly wrapped in this paper, and when I unrolled it, and have used it since, it seems to be likely in the same condition as when it was made. In 1952!!! So if properly stored and in the original wrap, maybe old canvas just might be fine. Like every other "ancient" OEM part I have acquired for my own truck's restoration, the military seemed to protect every spare part with the thought it may be in storage for a long, long time. The gun cover is really thick canvas.

NV
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Ok thanks Marmalute, that makes sense. Sorry I have no other details to provide.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

The clips on my top from MWM are galvanized mild steel
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
JBizal
CPL
CPL

Post by JBizal »

I purchase the canvas top made without the clips. We manufacture the STAINLESS STEEL clips in our shop. I install them when we have an order and need to ship a top.
We also make the clips for New Life Canvas. I do not purchase my tops from NLC.
Just to set the record straight.
John
MWM, Inc
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Hiya John!
Thanks for setting the record straight!
Cheers! Doug
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

You can also look at WeeBee Webbing http://www.odcloth.com/ Though I haven't purchased an M37 top from him I have gotten other items from him and I like his work.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
808morgan
CPL
CPL

Post by 808morgan »

dfghg.jpg
dfghg.jpg (133.81 KiB) Viewed 974 times
I just got some seat covers from Beechwood Canvas Works. They are very tough and smell like every military warehouse I've ever been it. Super tough. ** update, they stink and my wife won't get in the truck and sit on them. I may sell them and get a set in non military canvas.