Join us for a burger in Yakima.

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Join us for a burger in Yakima.

Post by jim lee »

As some of you probably know, Julie & I do what we call "Burger Patrols". A Burger Patrol is basically where you locate a burger joint somewhere on the map and see if you can make it there, in your old truck, to have a burger. Julie has fun taking pictures and posting it on Facebook. I have fun.. Fixing the truck.

Lately we've been using the WC53 Carryall "Franklin" for this as I s.l.o.w.l.y expand its usable radius.

Well, I saw this picture of a huge burger in Yakima

and unthinkingly said. "Lets see if we can get the Carryall to Yakima. Ha ha!"

Julie : "I'm in, lets go."

Well, unexpectedly my bluff has been called. She was supposed to say something like.. Possibly, "No"?

Now a couple more old Army trucks have joined in, so? I'm planning a trip from Anacortes to Yakima and back in the Carryall. I'll need to get the windshield wipers going and probably bring tire chains.. And tools, lots of them. I'm breaking our trip in two stages with an overnight break in Cle Elum, WA.

Any M37s up here in the PNW, (in working order) like to join in this crazy adventure? Come meet us for a burger in Yakima!
Jan, 27 2018 Shooting for around 1:30.

Let us know if you're interested.

-jim lee
Cal_Gary

Re: Join us for a burger in Yakima.

Post by Cal_Gary »

That looks like so much fun; alas, too far for me to get to but perhaps one day....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
M60TC
PFC
PFC

Post by M60TC »

Jim:

I can not do this in the winter months----your Snoqualmie Pass might be to snowy for me. How about in the spring or summer months. If we can get Gary to find a trailer or tow-bar maybe we both come out for Lunch.

Don
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Jackson hole? Maybe next summer we can do one to Wallowa lake in Oregon. That'll be in your direction. :)

-jim lee
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I went to Yakima on May 17 1980 to install a printing press in a huge print facility there. It was going to be a three day job and I was going to be home by my birthday on the 21st. Yea, right, Mt. St. Helens had other plans for me. I was stuck out there for three weeks since nothing was moving except for the ash, Which I still think I have in my ears! I ran that poor rental car till it would run no more then I took the air filter out and hammered on the ground and put it back a ran it some more. I feel sorry for whomever bought that car. I still remember hearing it on the radio and walking over to the windows with everyone else and the ash cloud was rolling in at a hundred MPH. Day to night in minutes. I don't think there was anybody there that can honestly say they were not scared. The nice part was that the company had tons of high quality dust masks! Not those el cheapo's from Home Depot. The press never did get installed due to all the grit in the air, it was going to have to be completely torn down and cleaned. Someone else got that job thankfully.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Well Don how the heck are you?! Been too long my friend!
Yeah, I've got the big Ibis-Tech tow bar now but not even my Class A RV's hitch is rated strong enough to pull my M37! I still hope for a trailer eventually, or burley-up the tow capacity of the hitch; purchasing the rebuilt tranny pushed any trailer plans back for a while.

We'll get up your way sometime this year-I'll send you a PM so we can synch up!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Tow bar? Sheesh guys! The entire adventure is to see if the truck will make it on its own.

Well, I guess a chase vehicle and tow bar might come in handy if the truck doesn't quite make it on its own..

-jim lee
M60TC
PFC
PFC

Post by M60TC »

Jim--Gary--Rickf

Just like a Boat on a trailer, I haul my M to a trail head or event. I just do not want to spend a week driving the M to Anacortes, WA. Some one posted photos of my Truck back in Fairfield, Iowa during the VPW gathering in June. My 1962 was leading the pack during a trail ride along an old railroad bed trail. We had over 160 old Dodge Trucks from all over North American with 16 of these trucks where M-37. If I did not trailer the M I would never get the chance to meet other owners and their M-37.
Even in the Army we would load up the slow Jeeps and M trucks into the back of 2 1/2 or 5 ton Truck because they where to slow for a fast moving convoy.

Lets plan on Lunch later in the season, Gary you can ride shot-gun.
Don
1962 and 1953 M-37
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Its this Saturday.. Burgers at Miners Drive await you in Yakima!

-jim lee
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Well, you guys missed all the fun!

Waiting for the car wrecks to be cleared above us on the highway 2 pass for a couple hours.

Next morning in Leavenworth, WA. Yikes! Snowed more n' I expected that night.

But we made it! That's Glen's truck waiting for us out in front of Miners Drive in. He had a 500 mile trip too. Had a great time chatting for nearly 3 hours. Spent the night and even made it home the next day.

Round trip a shade over 506 miles.

What a ride!

-jim lee
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

8) and :mrgreen:
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

WOW Jim Lee,

Looks like you had a wide variety of weather presented to you on the trip..... :shock: ......what did the wife have to say after it was all said and done?

Regards,

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

She has more fun on the trips than I do. I enjoy the truck bit, but it stresses me out waiting for something to fail. I was extra stressed on this trip 'cause I resurrected this truck from a dead barn find just last May-June. Up until the trip, our Max radius was maybe 20 miles before something would fail. I was frantically rebuilding the starter the day before.

But Julie? She loves going places, thinks doing weird things like traveling in the old trucks is fun and lets me do all the stressing. She does the write ups on the burger patrols on Facebook. All those pix I posted, she took. So I guess, she's ready to go on another, as soon as we do something about the windshield wipers. Those were the worst.

-jim lee
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

There is NO way I would want to drive with NDT tires on a snow covered road let alone one with NDT tires and original 50's tail lights in a snowstorm. You have bigger ones than me for sure.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Great photos and story Jim Lee, keep 'em coming!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W