Solid State Regulator - EMP Proof?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ez8
CPL
CPL

Solid State Regulator - EMP Proof?

Post by ez8 »

I've been reading William Forstchen's One Second After this week and got to thinking about our M37s during an emergency.

For those who have not read it, the book is a fictionalized account of a small town on the eastern seaboard of the United States (namely, Black Mountain, North Carolina) after an EMP attack. The power grid goes down, modern cars stop running, public executions take place, yadda, yadda, yadda. This got me thinking about the M37 after such kind of event (God forbid!). My M37 uses a solid state regulator, but being a military vehicle I'd assume it's somewhat hardened against such kind of phenomena, not least of which is because it's 1.) A short set of circuitry and 2.) grounded to the chassis which I've read are important to staving of the effects of an EMP. Not being a an electrical expert (in fact, it is still my belief that electricity is voodoo magic) I'm not in any position to judge or make any kind of sense of it. Does anyone have any information on this?
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Solid State Regulator - EMP Proof?

Post by Carter »

Sorry, no info on M37s but think about this, if it will run after an attack it will be on the road as log as your fuel in the tank lasts, gas stations are not hardened. No fuel!
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
ez8
CPL
CPL

Post by ez8 »

Carter wrote:Sorry, no info on M37s but think about this, if it will run after an attack it will be on the road as log as your fuel in the tank lasts, gas stations are not hardened. No fuel!
Very true! But, with a siphon I'm sure a resourceful individual would be able to keep it running for longer than one tank. Maybe 6 months with some Sta-bil. :)
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I keep my truck pretty full of gas for just such a possibility. And told them how to start and drive it if I am unable. By the way, the book One Second and the sequel, one year after, are accurate as to the small mountain community un in NC. Lots of real buildings, college, such.

I am putting an EMP proof lock on my gun safe. I have two "bug out bags" ready for wife and I to make a quick exit. There was a tv show several years ago, one season, "Jericho", a small Kansas town has an EMP, and the movie plot is what happens when lawless ness quickly overcomes all restraints. My own opinion is that good honest people will do what they must do to try to make their family survive. My family has a plan of where to meet if it all goes down. I read not long ago, that an EMP or two over the US would kill 90% of americans in one year. I am not a survivalist or "prepper", but I think if one can stay alive for the first month, the changes then begin to go up a bit for survival.

These are dangerous times.

NV
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I always enjoy listening to all these preppers that say they are going to have the biggest and baddest military truck that will take them and all their supplies anywhere they need to go when the SHTF. My answer? I will have all of your supplies in a minute or less from the next mountain over as you drive that big assed target by my scope. :twisted: :twisted: Once you are taken out I will come over and take all the supplies and hide them in various hidey holes, siphon the fuel out of the monster into gallon jugs and hide them with the rest of the supplies for use as fire starter and cooking fuel for my diesel powered portable stove. Then I am going to start that bigassed target up and point it towards the side of the mountain and let her go off the edge with your dead body in it. Anybody finding you will just figure you got shot and drove off the edge and then got picked over, far from where I did the deed. I am free and clear and loooong gone.

Got to love preppers. The regulators in our vehicles are far from hardened, they are lucky to survive a static spark! If they are not energized at the time of the strike they will not be affected. Unless you have the original dogbox style mechanical regulator which would not be affected at all. So if you have points and the old style regulator you could drive right through the EMP. Now, any of us old guys with hearing aides would be instantly deaf because it will take them out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yup! work smarter not harder and have a clear intent.
.............................. use it ...............