Nothing is ever simple, nothing, not ever ever simple

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Nothing is ever simple, nothing, not ever ever simple

Post by NAM VET »

If there was a "flat-rate" cost schedule for working on these trucks, I would double or even triple every estimate for my own restoration. Take today. A simple swap-out of the throttle cable. Easy-peasy, just undo the bolt on the back of the pull "T" then pull it back from the engine compartment, and then reverse the procedure. Well, first had to reach the nut on the back of the failed "T." Tried looking up from below, but with a steel plate in my neck, that was not possible. So realized that I could just loosen the instrument panel to get to the nut. Did that and found the speedo cable only let me pull it out about two inches, and then tried to use a stubby 9/16 wrench on the corroded nut and found that was near impossible. So sprayed some electrical cleaner on the "T" threads, and with aching and bloody finger tips, unscrewed the nut. Then found I couldn't just pull the old cable out, because it and the carb cable are held tightly by a clamp on the upper outer firewall. And to get to the two flat had screws to loosen that clamp, had to unscrew two machine bolts holding it onto the firewall, dropping both under the truck, one hiding then in a tire tread block.

Back to work. Inserted the new throttle cable, and since it is a down hill run to the hole in the firewall, the nut and washer zipped down and managed to wedge themselves in a crevice in a near impossible place to reach. Working from the engine side, found as per usual, that everything I need to see is in the upper part of my bifocals, making it hard to see what I was trying to do. Got the nut and washer back onto the threads, and then found I should have cut the new generic length of cable to the same length as the removed one, as it was now long enough to hit the radiator. Making it a chore to carefully use a Dremel cut-off wheel deep down under the carb itself to trim the outer armor to length. Accomplished that, only to find it was hard to reach the now dangling cable clamp on the firewall, and not then cross thread one hidden behind the top of the oil filter. More sore neck muscles. Got that.

Then, had to lock the cable armor into its mount under the carb, made more difficult as while I can now get my truck into my garage, I can't fully raise the hood, having thus a difficult angle to hold the cable, hold a small wrench on the small lock nut on the tiny bolt, and with my third hand hold the cable itself at an angle to allow the clamp to securely now hold the armor. To find I had forgotten to insert the wire into its lock, so took it off, and inserted the wire into the lock, re-did the cable lock clamp, and then snugged down the tiny bolt that holds the wire into its arm.

Finally done. Sore neck, sore fingers, several small lacerations, and decided to put off seeing how it now hopefully works to hold my manual throttle when necessary.

The "flat-rate" manual likely gives about 15 minutes to do what took me several hours. Typical for me.

Rain and wind now, Wife making her famous custom Sloppy Joes for dinner.

All the best,

NV
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Nothing is ever simple, nothing, not ever ever simple

Post by m-37Bruce »

Bifocals really don't lend themselves to this type of work, noticed it today welding, your head/face is never in the right position? Flat rate used to be 45, now I think it's 65, we owe ourselves a bundle!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

At least I know I am not the only one :shock:

What I like is when you start on one project but have to complete another before you can get to the original problem..........
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Yeah. I STILL don't have my new engine in my truck. But, the transmission, top and PTO are complete and assembled together. The shifter is amazing. Like a sports car gate. That work was so worth doing. And it gave me the opportunity to learn yet another metal working process. (Case hardening instead of "heat treatment")
I find, in order to get at the throttle or fording cables, it is best to start at the wiring plate under the ign sw and just remove everything going up for clearance. Easy peasy. (Yep, I'll convince myself that it is easy peasy.)
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Just think of the extra hours of enjoyment. Instead of having a rather mundane and simple task you had a challenge worthy of your skills, creativity, and even a bit of blood. Think of it is an entertainment bonus :) !

(If I counted up the number of jobs that went sideways and the hours they consumed...I'd still be counting, and counting, and counting! :shock: )
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

When one acquires one of these Vintage Old Trucks, you need to get the title, all the spares and parts that come with the truck, and most importantly, a Tetanus booster. Best also to trim your fingernails really short, so they don't tear off when working under sheet metal. And lay in a big supply of bandages and antibiotic ointment.

But when that stubborn bolt or nut finally unthreads and two long attached parts separate, the satisfaction is greater than the discomfort of minor wounds.

After my morning coffee and a hot bagel, I'm out to my garage, and I have a plan to remove a wire shelf, so I can then raise my truck's hood up back over the windshield and get to the whole engine bay. After removing the wire/fiberglass top and all it's hardware, I have to work up my courage to fold the windshield down. I am sure it hasn't been down for decades.

All the best guys,

NV
mdainsd
PVT
PVT

Post by mdainsd »

Please take no offense. But I laughed all the way through your post. That sums up working on these trucks to a "T".

Some of us are gluttons for punishment (raises hand).

I have just been accepted as a member of the "Dirty Docents" at the mechanized museum at our local Marine Corp base. Fantastic, all the vehicles in the back lot. Armor, Modern trucks, old trucks, jeeps, recovery vehicles, russian vehicles. They all have one thing in common, they all need work, from minor to Uber major. Its the next best thing to owning these things. I can fix this or that, drive whatever I want and at the end of a day, go home. One of the projects ongoing is converting 2 and a half M37s into one for the museum.