New Cummins Repower Option?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

U404S
PFC
PFC

New Cummins Repower Option?

Post by U404S »

I signed up to get more information on the new Cummins R2.8 diesel that is being marketed as a repower option for light trucks and SUV's. The crate motor package will even come with an accelerator pedal. Specs are 503 pounds total weight, Maximum of 160 HP and 267 ft pounds of torque. Maximum output is at 3,200 RPM's. The Cummins ad features a picture of a Jeep Wrangler which is interesting. Engine will be 50 state emissions legal. It is to be available Q1 2017. Who knows what the price will be and what bolts up behind it, but a nice new option to the 270 pound heavier 4BT I suppose. The motor is built in Cummins' China factory and will be imported. Depending on the price, it could change many folks' perspectives on repowering. Here is a link: https://cumminsengines.com/repower. Hope the link works.

I have no experience with any of it; all of my vehicles are OEM powered. Just thought it was interesting and something I might look into as my equipment inevitably deteriorates.
U404S
PFC
PFC

Re: New Cummins Repower Option?

Post by U404S »

I guess this isn't so new. There is a video that was done on the subject at SEMA a couple months back. Advance Adapters is teaming up with Cummins on the project. Lots of talk related to Land Cruisers and Jeeps, didn't hear M37 mentioned! Here is the video-about 18 minutes of talk: http://www.4wdmechanix.com/advance-adap ... -for-jeep/
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

I haven't seen it and of course have no first hand knowledge of anything about it. When I asked, our Cummins Representative had this to say when comparing it to the Cummins engines we typically install in M37 and Power Wagon applications. With a chuckle, he says the internal components look like they may have been designed for a lawn mower engine in comparison, he was obviously not impressed. This guy is a 40 year Cummins employee, has more knowledge of Cummins engines (and others) than most could ever dream about. My off the cuff assessment would be, it may be ok in a light weight vehicle such as a Jeep Wrangler, however 267 Ft. Lbs. of torque, sounds like an M37 or Power Wagon would be extremely underpowered in response and raw pulling power. Horsepower isn't worth a lot if there is not a good amount of torque to go along with it. Knowing what the higher torque Cummins engines we use are capable of, in a Jeep it would be too much, I'm sure to the point of breaking things if an operator was not careful. Jeep application specific, this newbie could be the ticket; in an M37, I expect it would be a high cost disappointment.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Licorice

Post by Licorice »

My experience with Cummins China is Thea are throw away junk. They don't last very well. Kinda suppressed they are still doing this.
Tony