Graveyard in the Gallery

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: Graveyard in the Gallery

Post by Carter »

Seems like just a couple of years ago I found the Big Electric forum and never knew so many folks had M37s, before that no one I knew or met had any idea what one was except some VFDs. I talked my way into several deals back when these trucks were more common than now and some fire companies were almost ready to get rid of them and get something newer and faster. It's just that I started many years before most people, back in the 1970s by following leads, volunteering at VFDs who needed a mechanic to keep their rigs on the road and generally doing anything to worm my way into their good graces so when it came time to rid themselves of the trucks I was the first person they called. Got a lot of trucks that way. I even did work for APG museum and they began telling fire company callers looking for help to call me. That's how all this came about.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

You're a smart man Carter......thus the hero status fits you! :mrgreen:

I try to explain to the younger guys at work just how valuable networking can be. I didn't understand the value of it until these last 15 years or so....but there's no better way to find the deals and make the connections than networking.

Carter.....you Da Man....as they say today!!

regards,
bob
nortonscustoms
PVT
PVT

Post by nortonscustoms »

Here's my mini graveyard. Drug these home last fall. The gray one may see the road again some day but the red one is too far gone to be saved.

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Oh...OK...I can see where this is leading.....Everyone has their own M37 junkyard EXCEPT me! Nice...real nice. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

w30bob wrote:Oh...OK...I can see where this is leading.....Everyone has their own M37 junkyard EXCEPT me! Nice...real nice. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
Maybe you have not been "at it" long enough but I can help you with getting your own going with this one, just what you need :wink:

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

I see we don't have a smiley face for a guy drooling.......which would be me.

:mrgreen:

I guess if I got a red truck and put it with my green truck I could tell the girlfriend I'm just decorating the yard for Christmas!

regards,
bob
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

A couple in Prince Rupert BC.

Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

The canvas top frame from the truck in colorado now lives on my truck in Mass.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Kelley,

Glad to hear it! There were a few more parts from that truck that I would have like to have gotten, but working with the guy was becoming difficult. I had to keep bugging him to send my stuff and I think the last thing I got from him, which was the right front fender, took him like 8 weeks to ship.

regards,
bob
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

w30bob wrote:Hi Bruce,

I'm not real computer literate, so I don't know what a "sticky" is, but I think what Monkey means is we'll use this thread to post our RIP pics too. If I'm way off MM just let us know.

So here's another one. This guy was selling parts off this M on Ebay back in February of this year. It was in a boneyard in Colorado and I ended up getting the gas tank and the right front fender you see still on the truck. He also took off the bed and was trying to sell that to no avail, so he took the bed apart and sold it in pieces. The frame on this truck looked unbelieveably preserved and was pretty rust free. I asked him to get me the serial number off the frame the next time he went back, but by the next time he went the truck had already been sent to the crusher. If my memory is right it was a '52 or '53 M and I want to say it was an Air Force truck. Another one bites the dust, as Queen used to say.

regards,
bob
Ahhh! This kills me. I'd drive almost anywhere in Colorado for a bunch of the parts I see on that truck. It pains me to see them crushed.
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

I recently recovered this old soldier from a field in maine. It's a 1942 chevy g506.
Attachments
photo truck.jpg
photo truck.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Guys I just love this topic and the pictures!
Thanks to all! I still have to get mine out here (maybe later today!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
wvcharlie
CPL
CPL

Post by wvcharlie »

Here is a poor 51 that has been sitting in a salvage yard near me for at least thirty years. I thought about buying it and resurecting it at one time. I did get all the metal stake pocket brackets and related hardware for $25.00. It cleaned up good and was still solid. Image
Charlie
64 M38A1
65 M37
68 M725
101st ABN Veteran
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Now that will bring a tear to your eye, eh?

bob
rixm37
MSGT
MSGT

Post by rixm37 »

Kelly is that the one you are restoring over on G503 ? IF so you are doin' a great job !! I got a G506 last year and love it ! :D
1952 M37
M101 trailer
1942 Chevy G506