Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Graveyard in the Gallery

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

How's this for an idea.......how about we put a Graveyard in the Gallery. I see we have Data Plates. I'm pretty sure we've all run across M37s that we KNOW are never going to be rescued and who's only fate is scrap, the crusher, or desintegrating in place. Why not snap a pic the next time you see one and put it in the RIP section of the Gallery.....if someone can add that section? Here's the pic I'd put in there.....this truck belongs to a family that will never sell it or restore it. It's rotting in place. It's not beyond being a restoration candidate or parts truck....but they won't even drag it to the salvage guy to get scrap metal value for it. It's truly a "dead" M37. SN is 800019914 so it's an early 52. Rest in peace big guy.

Let me know what you guys think of a "Graveyard" in the Gallery.......and if it's even possible.

thanks,
bob

Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Graveyard in the Gallery

Post by Monkey Man »

Sounds good Bob, I'll make this thread a "sticky"

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
T.R.
PVT
PVT

Post by T.R. »

I think it's a great idea, looking forward to seeing more pictures.
T.R.
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I think it's a great idea Bob, have you dun it yet?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Bruce,

I'm not real computer literate, so I don't know what a "sticky" is, but I think what Monkey means is we'll use this thread to post our RIP pics too. If I'm way off MM just let us know.

So here's another one. This guy was selling parts off this M on Ebay back in February of this year. It was in a boneyard in Colorado and I ended up getting the gas tank and the right front fender you see still on the truck. He also took off the bed and was trying to sell that to no avail, so he took the bed apart and sold it in pieces. The frame on this truck looked unbelieveably preserved and was pretty rust free. I asked him to get me the serial number off the frame the next time he went back, but by the next time he went the truck had already been sent to the crusher. If my memory is right it was a '52 or '53 M and I want to say it was an Air Force truck. Another one bites the dust, as Queen used to say.

regards,
bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Great idea Bob! I'll have to dig out my photos and see what I have.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

A "Sticky" if memory serves me (heh-heh) means it should be always at the top of new threads, is that correct Tony?
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Some of these were rusted so badly in the cab or frame they were put out to pasture and used for parts but I was able to bring a couple back to life and put on the road. This is a graveyard post but like Mary Shelly I created a couple of Frankensteins of my own from what you see here.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

So Carter......are you saying you have your own personal graveyard of M37s? That's awesome!

regards,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

w30bob wrote:So Carter......are you saying you have your own personal graveyard of M37s? That's awesome!

regards,
bob
Had not have is correct, got 2 running and sold them, stripped the really bad ones down to the frame and kept the parts which I still have most of them stored here. Part of the same deal which was take all or nothing for FREE I was given this brush truck which was a runner and I gave it to a local VFD that needed it. At one time I had so many M37s I had trouble finding a place to keep them, could not keep them at home because of local restrictions.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Yep, a sticky thread stays at the top of the forums list, mind you, after seeing some of these pics this thread might become like the crying wall, a very sad place to visit (no disrespect meant by that comparison, only MV owners would understand what I meant)

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Monkey,

I was thinking the same thing......might be a bit sad. But seeing them all might motivate some people to save just one more if they can. Hey, ya never know. Funny thing is some of the trucks I see for sale online now are in worse shape than what Carter had in his junkyard!! Imagine that.....a guy with his own personal M37 junkyard. Carter is my hero.........until some posts a better personal junkyard!! :mrgreen:

later,
bob
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Yep, Carter is one of my Heroes too, but we had better not make him blush too much LOL
There are great folks on here, hence the reason it has survived a few incarnations, upgrades and failures. Eric Hodecker started it all, Robi took it over when Bigelectric died and it's been my privelege to moderate for 15? years.. There are plenty of heroes on here, not me though, I could never get used to the idea of wearing my undies over my trousers... :?

Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

MM......I'm still laughing........ :lol:

regards,
bob
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Man are we getting old or what? I bought a door from Carter about 11 years ago..............
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA