Napa 1100 oil filters have taken a price jump.......

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I didn't think there was a less then 5 years shelf life on oil filters. Guess you learn something every day... :shock:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
zaden

Post by zaden »

I appreciate the correct information on the proper type of oil filter to use.
I will switch it out and put in the correct filter, either the WIX, Baldwin or NAPA, but.......I went out and looked on my shelf and found that I purchased a Fram C4 last Fall. I found a cross reference guide that said that the C4 or C4P would be the correct Fram filter for the M37.

Thoughts?
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Fram C4 is not correct for the military junior housing but the Fram C21 or C21P will fit if you for sure have the military junior housing.

Best thing to do is wait until you are actually ready to open the canister and then measure things up.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Fram filters are absolutely the worst filter product on the market. POOR quality products. The Fram issue may not be as critical in our case here since it is an element type and not a spin-on type. If you ever have the chance to look at the internals of a Fram spin-on filter, you'll readily see what I'm getting at here. My store has a cut-away of all major brand spin-on filters on display. Fram is worse than any other brand out there, now you know why they are the top brand in WAL-MART, or at least they are in WAL-MART stores local to us.

About shelf life, it is true for all filters which have treated paper type media material. Here again, you need to ask for and read carefully product spec sheets. All major filter Co's offer them, Baldwin recommends not using filters that are more than 1 year old. This is especially true with paper air filters for any application. Dealers are told to rotate stock so that the older stock goes out first and before the deadline.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Baldwin's recommendation is certainly a bit self profit gain motivated. I have found 3 to 5 years an adequate shelf life. Vendors also have a very strong propensity to recommend frequent and very very short service periods with an obvious tie to their profits.

Has anyone here cut open a one year old Baldwin and a one week old Baldwin and compared the paper? Or even better sent a sample of each paper to an independent lab for testing?

I believe most folks have enough street savvy and schooling to gage the data thrown at them and make reasonable choices. :wink:
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Clarification, I wasn't referring to the media material when I mentioned the spin-on cut-away, it's the other components within the filter and the design and workmanship that was the issue with FRAM.

I'm not plugging for Baldwin, just passing on my experience, there are other good filters out there, I like WIX, NAPA GOLD, and Donaldson is a high end line also, they are all of good quality. We have had good luck with Baldwin for many years, therefore I'm sold on their quality and workmanship. NAPA also carries a cheap filter line, called Silver-Line, those I have no use for.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Re: Napa 1100 oil filters have taken a price jump.......

Post by Kaegi »

so the Baldwin P53 is correct for military jnuior housing?
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Kaegi wrote:so the Baldwin P53 is correct for military jnuior housing?
Baldwin P53 is correct for the M37.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:
Kaegi wrote:so the Baldwin P53 is correct for military jnuior housing?
Baldwin P53 is correct for the M37.
great thanks