Napa 1100 oil filters have taken a price jump.......

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Napa 1100 oil filters have taken a price jump.......

Post by Nickathome »

I went to NAPA to buy a new oil filter last night. Price has taken a jump from just over $10 to $12.95 in one year. They only had one in stock, so I bought it. I'm going to go back soon and order about 3 more just to get them before any more price hops.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

I just received a Wix #51100 filter from Rock auto and I paid $8.05 for it. From what I understand Wix makes the filters for Napa. But then you have to pay for shipping. But if you have other items to order it shouldn't be that bad.....
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Napa 1100 oil filters have taken a price jump.......

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Nickathome wrote:I went to NAPA to buy a new oil filter last night. Price has taken a jump from just over $10 to $12.95 in one year. They only had one in stock, so I bought it. I'm going to go back soon and order about 3 more just to get them before any more price hops.
Everything has gone up that we use and keeps climbing. At NAPA, you are paying the list price or close to it, we buy at dealer cost several dollars less than what they charged you. No way around that though unless the counter person feels generous or you know someone who has a NAPA garage account who will offer you a favor.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
zaden

Post by zaden »

I'm a bit confused!
I've been using WIX #51006 oil filter.
Should I be using the #51100 oil filter instead?

It appears that they are the same size other than the gasket size is slightly different.

Thanx
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

zaden wrote:I'm a bit confused!
I've been using WIX #51006 oil filter.
Should I be using the #51100 oil filter instead?

It appears that they are the same size other than the gasket size is slightly different.

Thanx
The 51006 is not a familiar # to me, seems like that may be for a civilian Dodge, just not sure. I can check my cross reference/product guide and let you know what the difference is. The 51100 is the WIX cross over for the NAPA 1100. I'll go out to the shop in a bit and look this up, you got my curiousity going. Back in a while.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

M37 oil filter element specs

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Here's the scoop, 51006 is the wrong filter for the M37 application, the length is different as is the housing cover gasket. Wix 51100 or NAPA GOLD 1100 is correct for the M37. I'll post the specs for both below so you can compare.

WIX 51006, replacement by-pass type filter element for Allis Chalmers farm tractors.

Specs are:
OD 4 7/32"
ID 17/32"
length 4 7/8"
has 2 attached grommets
1 housing cover gasket supplied with filter,
part# G104 gasket material is BUNA N with FIBER
gasket specs:
OD 4 47/64"
ID 4 11/32"
Thickness 1/16"

Wix 51100, replacement by-pass type filter element for A-C DELCO MILITARY JUNIOR housing
OD 4 7/32"
ID 17/32"
Length 5"
2 attached grommets
1 housing cover gasket supplied with filter element
Part # G115A, gasket material, BUNA N
Gasket specs:
OD 5 1/8"
ID 4 3/8"
Thickness 3/32"

I would not use the 51006, too short and may not seal properly in the housing as a result. The cover gasket is not of the correct dimensions to fit correctly and is 1/32" thinner than the cover gasket specified for the A-C DELCO housing used on all M37's.

In the days of the first M37's, there was basically 2 engine oil filters that were used on almost all military engines, the military junior and the military senior were the common reference names. The junior was used on Jeeps and small trucks which included the M37 and variants. The 2 1/2 and 5 ton trucks, all gas burners at that time, used the military senior filter element. This system made stocking replacement elements really simple.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: Napa 1100 oil filters have taken a price jump.......

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Nickathome wrote:I went to NAPA to buy a new oil filter last night. Price has taken a jump from just over $10 to $12.95 in one year. They only had one in stock, so I bought it. I'm going to go back soon and order about 3 more just to get them before any more price hops.
Most NAPA stores only stock 1 of the 1100's, some smaller stores may not keep any on the shelf, while larger stores may stock 2-3. This is decided by computer these days based on how many of a specific item that store sells in a given amount of time. That system can be over riden by the store manager if he knows sales are there. Example, our NAPA manager keeps a few things on hand for us that he never sells to anyone except us. Not a huge demand for 1100 filters any more. I wouldn't buy too far in advance, reason being the filter media will deteriorate with age, even in good storage. If you keep one on the shelf for 2 years before you actually use it, filtering efficiency will suffer somewhat.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

Filters....

Post by Nickathome »

Charles;

I use about 2 filters a year, give or take in my truck. I change the oil about every six months. So, if I buy them, they only sit for about 6 months on my shelf max, before they get used.

The only problem with what you mentioned is assuming the filter is new when I buy it. Most times when I buy a filter, its got a layer of dust on the box, so there's no telling how long it sat on their shelf before I buy it. The one I bought the other day was no exception. So really you can't be assured of how old a filter is. I'm gonna take my chances.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Might as well, Nick! An "old" filter is better than no filter, right? ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

This is a major reason that we use very few NAPA filters, they don't sell enough of what we use to keep the stock fresh when dealing with slow moving items. We have been using Baldwin filters for years, even back in the construction days. Their dealers get their stock straight from Baldwin in Kearney, Nebraska. My dealer in Rockingham, NC places a factory order every 2 weeks, the product is factory fresh and you can tell it. In the event they don't have what we need, which is rare, a phone call to the factory and it drop ships straight to us from Kearney via UPS. Little or no waiting involved, always a fresh product. Baldwin filters are the staple at lots of heavy duty truck parts outlets, farm machinery outlets, etc. We can also buy cheaper than from our NAPA garage account, and get a superior product. They also offer many filters that NAPA doesn't even know exist. Guaranteed top quality and they stand behind their product. I highly recommend Baldwin Filters. Your local heavy truck dealer may be a retailer for them or I'm sure you can go to their website and locate a dealer near you.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
zaden

Post by zaden »

Thank you for the information, Charles.

The local parts supplier was the one that gave me the 51006 part number.
It's worked without a problem for the last few years. I put few miles on the truck and change the oil every year or less.

I'll be switching the WIX to the 51100 right away.

Would you give me the part number for the Baldwin filter?

Once again, Thank You!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

zaden wrote:Thank you for the information, Charles.

The local parts supplier was the one that gave me the 51006 part number.
It's worked without a problem for the last few years. I put few miles on the truck and change the oil every year or less.

I'll be switching the WIX to the 51100 right away.

Would you give me the part number for the Baldwin filter?

Once again, Thank You!
The problem is there is no way to tell really how well it works or if it is filtering at all. If it doesn't fit correctly as designed, no doubt filtration is suffering. Anybody who would knowingly supply you with an incorrect filter without you being aware is pretty much a low life in my opinion. He certainly is running a huge risk of causing you serious engine issues, possibly failure.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

Zaden,

Before you rush out to the parts store first check the internal dimensions of your filter. You may not have a military junior and the 51006 may be the right filter element for your canister.

The Baldwin # P53
Descriptions: By-Pass Lube Element with Bail Handle
Fits: Equipment, Trucks with Chevrolet, Continental, GMC, Hercules, Waukesha, White, Wisconsin Engines
Replaces: GMC 5570098
O.D.: 4 7/32 (107.2)
I.D.: 1/2 (12.7)
Length: 5 (127.0)
F. Gskt.: G115-A
Grommets: [2] Attached
UPC: 7 91440 00064 3
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.
Nickathome
1SG
1SG

filters

Post by Nickathome »

cuz;

Is the filter you show the direct Baldwin replacement for the NAPA 1100?
cuz
1SG
1SG

Post by cuz »

That's the photo Baldwin uses on their web site.
Wes K
wsknettl@centurytel.net

54 M37, 66 M101, 45MB, 51 M38, 60 CJ5, 46 T3-C
MVPA 22099

Disclaimer: Any data posted is for general info only and may not be M37 specific or meet with the approval of some esteemed gurus.