Another green thing to work on, 53 M37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Cal_Gary

Re: Another green thing to work on, 53 M37

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Rick,
For what it's worth, my Dremel tool has been invaluable over the years, cutting a relief slice into frozen nuts in order to remove them (in the absence of a torch). The cutoff wheel is about 1 inch in diameter and works well in those tight spots. I even cut off a frozen leaf spring U-Bolt with mine several years ago with no problem at all (picture added).

The guys are right about the transfer case-it's a heavy sucker. I bought a combo floor/transmission jack specifically for that job; adding a 2x4 block under the front yoke keeps it stable.
Gary
Attachments
spring_3.jpg
spring_3.jpg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Well, FINALLY decided to get something done on the 37. It has sat since the last time I tried to get it running and found that the fuel pump had gone out and put a bunch of gas in the crankcase. It has been sitting all winter so I decided it was time to drain the oil and get some fresh oil in there, mount the electric pump and get it running. I put down a tarp since my area is crawling with ticks this year and I did not really want to try to jockey the truck all through the wooded yard with the tractor. Figured I would change the oil and put the pump on where it sits and drive it to the garage. Well....................... Kind of good thing I put the tarp down since it prevented an environmental disaster! Who would have figured that there would be 3 1/2 gallons of gas/oil mix in the engine? Well I was down there with my oil drain pan and when I loosened the drain plug it was coming out and splashing so I got a deeper pan and carefully unscrewed the plug thinking I would leave it at a couple threads in to drain slowly. You ALL know where this is going don't you? :roll: :lol: , Yup, those couple threads were not there and the plug just fell out and damn that is a big hole!!!!! Half a gallon went right over the pan and on the tarp................. which I was laying on, before I could get the pan under it and me out of the way. Then I realized the pan was NOT going to hold it all and I had to dive back into the slop on the tarp and slide the other drain pan in. No, There are no pictures and I feel sorry for any of my religious neighbor within earshot! Nothing like being soaked in a mostly gasoline mixed with oil mixture. And it was BLACK!!!!! At least I know the engine is now squeaky clean inside. Pulled out the oil filter and drained the canister also and then refilled with good oil. Will charge up my batteries and pull the plugs, dump some marvel down the plug holes and crank it till the oil is circulated through before trying to actually start it. I have had better days!!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Rick,

Glad to hear that your making some progress, nothing like the sinking feeling of too small of a drain pan.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey Rick,
Sounds like a plan, on the plus side, I think you might have solved your tick problem. 8)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

m-37Bruce wrote:Hey Rick,
Sounds like a plan, on the plus side, I think you might have solved your tick problem. 8)
No, I was covered with them by the time I came in. I plan to buy one of those 30 gallon electric pump sprayers and mount it on one of the several lawn tractors I have that run great but the decks have rusted away. I will be spraying Sevin EVERYWHERE!!!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

before I saw the last post, and noted that perhaps your "tick"problem might be solved, I thought maybe fresh oil may help hour engine's lifter "tick" at idle speed. Drove my truck over to shoot at a nearby indoor range this afternoon, then met up with shooting buddies for burgers. I have checked my timing, greased about 80 or so Zerks under my truck, checked all the gear and axle oil levels, and am about ready for my 200 mile trip down to Charleston in a few weeks.

had about 5 inches off rain this morning, and more on the way.

NAM VET, UpState SC
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Well I need to take the batteries that were originally in the 37 out of my generator which is where they spent the winter since it looked like power was going to go out on a regular basis. As long as the generator is ready to go the power will not go out. :lol: It did actually but that was when a tree took out the wires to my house and fed 220 volts through all my 110 outlets. Smoked everything! So hooking up the generator was not an option at that point. Anyway, need to get the batteries from the genny which by the way is in the woods with everything else including the ticks so I have been reluctant to go back out there until I load up on about 20 cans of deep woods Off. I really hope to get it running by next week. Then change the oil again to get the rest of the gas out of there and at least it will be clean and ready to go as long as I did not lose oil pressure. Question for those of you running electric fuel pumps, where do you mount them? I bought on of the Carter rotary Vane types, not the cheap little square ones. I was thinking on the firewall on the carb side and that way I can route the gas line away from engine and exhaust heat.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

A little story: When I was in Vietnam, living and working with one SGT in a small Vietnamese compound, way south in the Mekong Delta, I had a 1.5 K'W generator to run our evening lights and our movie projector. It was out near the berm, and every evening, I would go out and pull the plugs, clean the with my Buck folding hunter knife. My Buck's blade time was perfect for getting the carbon from around the center ceramic post. Then crank it, and run for several hours. But the local troops, who lived in their mud huts with their families in the berm, would always tap into my wires, and every week or so, when my generator would begin to bog down, I would go out, take off my wires, switch it to 220 Volts, and blow all their lines, then hook mine up again, doing this about weekly.

As for fuel pumps, I have a Facet cylinder one, way back by my tank, on the inside of the driver's frame rail. It puts out about 5-7 psi, and has an 74 micron filter in the bottom, easy to unscrew and clean or replace, which I just did, after several thousands of miles. Had about 1/4 tsp of debris. Bought a new filter and gasket from Pegasus Auto racing, which has a big supply of Facet pumps. I had a smaller cube Facet on before, but Charles T replaced the small cube one with the larger canister one. I think electric fuel pumps are best at pushing fuel than pulling it. So work better closer to the tank. I had made up all new fuel and vent lines last year, using the copper/nickel ones. Charles T wired my electric pump to an inertial switch so it will cut off if I ram into something. May need to reconsider if you are using a snow plow on a truck. I ran the wires to my pump carefully in protective covering, with lots of small clips to hold it securely. Let me try to put some pictures on a post in a few minutes.

Before Charles suggested an electric pump and a mechanical pump plate to remove the chance of fuel saturation of my crankcase oil, he rebuilt my mechanical pump with all new parts, suitable for modern fuels. Cost me $400, but I will never use it, so if any one wants to make me an offer for it, has two new hoses on it, let me know.

Now, let me see if I can post a pic or two.

hal Copple, aka NAM VET
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

the berm and troop's "homes."
Then my generator, with Pop, our handyman. Came back from an operation once, and he had gotten hungry and ate our pet Cat.
[url=https://postimg.cc/hXKHbpnm][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/NKYwCQ65][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Electric pumps are definitely better at pushing than pulling, It will be a while before I am ready to use the stock tank and will be working off of a can in or on the cab for now. Probably will just bolt the pump wherever is convenient for now.

Yea, you had to have a guard on the pets at all times. I was at the other end of the country in Dak-To, we had a couple hooch maids that protected our pets and let me tell you these girls were NOT to be messed with! Fast and dangerous, as a couple of the guys found out after a little too much drinking one night. Not only did they get their butts whipped by the girls but the local tribesman wanted to fillet them the next day! A LOT of diplomacy was needed with the "Yard" elders. Those guys never got drunk again in the time they were there after that.

Interesting times, At least we didn't have ticks! Leeches and VD but no ticks! Kind of wish I still had some of that insect repellent we had back then. Melted watch crystals and steering wheels but kept the bugs off. I always wondered what price we paid for slathering that stuff on.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Off topic but take a look at this stuff Rick. I use it for hunting clothes. We also spray the camping gear and it works great.

https://sawyer.com/insect-repellents/

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

I have a high grade prostate CA, the VA says likely from Agent Orange, but maybe from the repellent. Who knows. Had radiation, and two years of Injections, off that for a bit over a year now, Just had another check of my PSA a few days ago, still "undetectable" so no new plans for now. Doing OK now.

Hal Copple
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

Not off topic at all, This pertains to any of us who have to work on our vehicle outside and especially in wooded areas like me. Thank you very much, I can never find the picaridin around here. I will be ordering some tonight. I slopped on the DEET today and got the batteries swapped out and charged and into the 37. Marvel in the cylinders and spun it over till I got oil pressure with the plugs out. Cleaned the plugs and started to hang the electric pump from the radiator support for now since the gas can is probably going to reside on the front bumper as I move it around. Started to rain so will need to finish another day. Need to get 5/16 and 1/4 inch hose barbs for the pump, it came with 3/8 fittings. Should be running again by weeks end and that will give me the impetus to get moving on the rest of it. First thing is the complete disc brake setup I got from D Cook and then it will actually go and stop. That will make working on it so much easier since my garage is really too small to do a lot of work inside.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

NAM VET wrote:I have a high grade prostate CA, the VA says likely from Agent Orange, but maybe from the repellent. Who knows. Had radiation, and two years of Injections, off that for a bit over a year now, Just had another check of my PSA a few days ago, still "undetectable" so no new plans for now. Doing OK now.

Hal Copple
Good to hear, I go for my results tomorrow.
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Wow Rick! Sorry for all the difficulty you had with the oil pan overflowing! Mine did that, but with coolant in the oil when my head gasket blew. Fortunately it wasn't enough to top my drain pan (one of those plastic round, 5 gallon ones that I'm sure a number of us have).

I also endorse the electric fuel pump. Mine is mounted close to the tank so it can push the fuel through a see-through, replaceable or cleanable filter element that lets me know if I'm moving clean fuel (that I should be since I had the tank boiled out and RENU'ed a few years ago).

Best of luck on your health checks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500