Just another engine build thread. Sort of.

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Just another engine build thread. Sort of.

Post by just me »

And the freeze plug set from VPW are the wrong size. They are 1.641 and the core holes are 1.625…
Off to the parts house. Again.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

just me,
Don't know if they sent Dorman brass plugs, but if so I had to turn all of them down to get them to fit. We put some in the current motor a while back and I figured that I just received some oddball parts, but no, they are all oversize!

As far as things stopping the train, I hope your luck is better than ours! We hoped to have the engine in and on the dyno yesterday, but the box of parts due a week ago arrived yesterday and the head that would take a day to shave has been gone for a week and a half and still is not done!

I'm bummed because I'm not sure the kids will get to see it run by the end of the school year on Thursday.

Andy
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Maybe the kids will want to do a day or two of "summer school"! I know the feeling about nothing on time and some if it not right.
So far today. Got the cam and tappets installed. The cam was tight and dye revealed one bearing at issue. So, an hour of fiddling, burnishing and scraping with a babbit scrapper got that right. Now it is smooth and happy. The new brass discs are over site, also. But not as bad as the steel ones. We are making a sizing die right now to force the brass one through to size them for install. I'll let you know how it worked.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

We placed a large socket in the chuck and used a shaped piece/live center in the tailstock to hold the plugs while taking very light cuts on the OD. Not pretty, but got the job done.

Went through the same thing on the cam. Ended up using a new center bearing to get it sorted.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Cam and tappets in and done. Crank in and done. Rods and pistons in the morning and if done with enough time, valves and spring.
Still need to put the gallery plugs in and oil line fittings.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Post by NAM VET »

my machine shop mentioned to me the steel freeze plugs I gave him from VPW were a real bear to install too.

NV
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Yeah, they are 1"-41/64ths instead of 1"-5/8ths. We made a tool to further deform them ( dome them ) so they could be installed with another ring driver we made. Then hammered flat with another "tool".
All that ate a few hours while I was cleaning the crank. The cam bearing (front) was just a few tenths too tight so we used a babit scrapper to plane it down and then burnished it with the journal from my old cam. That ate another couple hours.
Then on to crankshaft installation. It went smooth and as everything else should have.
It has .0014-7 clearance on the mains and .004 endplay. The rear main installed nice and easy.
Cleaned the shop to be ready for Sunday and rods and pistons. I'm not going to get my hopes of of getting further.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

I give up on trying to post pictures here. I took a ton of pics of the engine build so far. Can not get them on here to save my butt. Reduced to avatar size, they are still to large a file to upload.
This is just too frustrating to do on a dumbphone, I don't have computers or internet to use otherwise.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Sunday was productive. Rings fitted to the pistons. Rods and pistons installed in the block. Clearances are right at .0015 on all the rods with sideplay from .008 to .014. Oil pickup and crossover installed.Front plate, timing gears and chains installed. Seals and front cover installed. Everything paint marked that is to torque and done.
Cleaned and pounded a large bit of the dents out of the oil pan. Cleaned the shop area again and ready for valves, springs, keepers and initial lash setting Monday night. At least, that is the plan.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Monday saw the springs, valves, hats and keepers installed. It is a Long Block now. Had to watch the springs, they are directional but the "UP" end difference is subtle. I have 3 different valve spring compressors and found the Sunnen Corp unit to be the best for this particular setup. Made it very easy to install the keepers as there is a lot of finger room. Didn't need to fiddle with my keeper installer (Blue Point CF-7). Doing it with the engine upside down really helps as there is only one chance of dropping a stray keeper into the engine. (Number 12 valve down the breather cavity. )
Will pull the pan (Not gasketed at this time) off so I can see that I'm on the heel of the cam lobes and set tappet clearances at this time. (Using Charles' settings for cold/new)
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

As Delivered
As Delivered
Delivery.jpg (41.27 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Number 3
Number 3
spun.jpg (39.18 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
What was inside
What was inside
mess1.jpg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Cleaning
Cleaning
scrub.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Cleaned
Cleaned
clean.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Checking things
Checking things
inspect1.jpg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Banging in plugs
Banging in plugs
coreplugs.jpg (34.57 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Clearance check
Clearance check
plastiguage.jpg (40.78 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Crankshaft
Crankshaft
cranky.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Pistons going in
Pistons going in
somerods.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Front case
Front case
timing1.jpg (38.76 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Quit for the night
Quit for the night
stoppingpoint.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 3033 times