Just another engine build thread. Sort of.

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

just me
1SG
1SG

Re: Just another engine build thread. Sort of.

Post by just me »

I'm sure it doesn't come in the kit because only the military used the bolt on pipe. I have a drawer full of gasket material. Even some real Garlock. Since my previous hobbies of old tractors and hit and miss engines required me to make my own gaskets for everything, I got reasonably proficient at cutting them by hand.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Three steps forward and two steps back. The oil pan is leaking. Not the gaskets. The pan. I get to remove enough stuff to flop the engine e on its side and pull the pan. I may weld a new bottom in it or just try and locate an NOS one.
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Leaking pans must be fairly common. I have two flathead six oil pans that have rusted through in the bottom. One of them hadn't started leaking yet since it was so full of sludge that it had essentially self-sealed. I was cleaning it in the parts washer when I realized I could see through the sump. :shock:

Must be from neglect (failure to change the oil regularly) or long periods of just sitting. Any water in the engine oil settles to the bottom and eventually rusts through the pan from the inside out.

I recently disassembled the stock fuel pump from one of these same engines, and the lower cover of the vacuum side was rusting through from the inside. Not surprisingly, it too was full of engine oil.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Not posting much, but things have progressed. Got a new pan from John and some odds and ends from he and Jens. Fabricated all the lines and just done a bunch of fiddly bits. The carb is off and I'm taking it to the local plater to have it passivated and chromated. Then rebuild it. I'm hoping that helps with the prevention of white rust inside.
I've also pulled the starter and generator for freshening up.
I've got everything for the trans rebuild but the special snap ring. The case is in the soup right now. Every day a little bit.
right.jpg
right.jpg (74.1 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
tubes.jpg
tubes.jpg (84.75 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
left.jpg
left.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Looking good.

Interesting routing on the vent line between the air horn and the oil filler tube. Mine was more horizontal, routed above the fuel line into the carb bowl. Is there a reason for the extra fittings coming down from the air horn before going across the head to the filler tube?

Did you repair your oil pan, or find an NOS one?
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

That was how the existing piping was run. I don't have a tube bender that size, so I just see the original tube. I would have liked to route it differently, but it works.
New oil pan from MWM.
I used a later air horn than the original for convenience in plumbing. Now I have one each new and original air horns spare in the swap meet pile.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Looks like the engine is coming together very nicely. I always enjoyed the small detail work parts of my projects.

Side note: I have seen many different vent line configurations over the years. I will post up pictures that I took last weekend of a 52 M37 that has a configuration that I have never seen and it looks to be stock with fording shroud. (This will be a new post in the tech section)

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

No real progress for the last two weeks. Still waiting on the carb bodies to come back from the plater so I can build one. The transmission has been a butt kicker with little odd difficulties and parts and availability problems. Bagged and stowed all the M37 projects because I'm going to take at least 3 weeks off from the truck. Have a bit to do on the M38 and will be doing a road trip with it and Luke's MB. Maybe, just maybe I'll have the rest of the stuff to finish the M37 when we get done and I'll be able to get back to productive work.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Been a month and just getting back to the project.
Carbs are plated. Need to assemble one.
Need to finish touch up paint on the engine block and mount the carb.
The transmission is together.
The shifter top is almost done. Just need to assemble it now.
Waiting on 1 part to finish the PTO rebuild.
Then it will all be mated into a power unit for the swap into the truck. At that time, I will do the rest of the swap back to 24Volt.
Did repair the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft that was dead. Makes a big difference in quieting the ride down.
Also, had to do repairs on the M38 after its maiden voyage 300 mile backroads trip. But that is all sorted out and it is back to its smooth running, shiny and clean glory.
I'll shoot some pics as things progress.
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Trans and top are done. I can't find where I put the shifter lever. Tonight, the PTO gets done. It is ready for assembly.
The RT70 radio is nearly operational. Finishing up the alignment.
Started painting the replacement inner fenders and radiator supports.
Soon. Soon.
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

Umm.. You may want to rethink your copper plumbing. Copper tends to crack from the vibration when used in cars/trucks. Other than that, looks great.

-jim lee
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

That isn't copper. It only looks like it.