51' Maine M-37

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

CAM
PVT
PVT

51' Maine M-37

Post by CAM »

I finally had the time to post some pics of my M in progress, first to let you guys know about the truck and my plans. The truck is in decent shape rust wise, I think that is because after the military it was put into fire dept use, matter of fact the red paint with yellow numbers shows thru the last paint job. Mechanically the truck is about wore out, the odometer shows 40500 miles, brakes are non-existent, broken rear axle, no wiring at all . It appears to me that the military carb, fuel pump, distributor, starter and generator have all been changed out for industrial 12 volt replacement parts. At this time I have a new master cylinder and all new wheel cylinders, and a wiring harness from Keep it clean, and a summit racing 100 amp black powder coated alternator ready to be installed. I think I will replace all the brake lines and fuel lines with copper nickle, I am at this point stuck trying to get the steering wheel off so I can remove the cab, at that point I will be left with a rolling chassis with the engine. At the end of March I have a blaster coming to my house to bead blast the frame and underside of the cab and body. So I have a month to get the grease and oil off the truck for him. Hopefully I can get a day that it warms up and I can roll it out in the driveway and pressure wash it.

My plan for this old truck is to leave the paint as is and just get it so I can drive it safely and enjoy it. I will definitely be on here asking questions and bugging you guy about certain parts in the future. At this time I only have Sundays for working on the "M" as I drive a fuel transport truck, and living in Maine that's a full time job in the winter.
Chris Munsey
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Re: 51' Maine M-37

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

looks like a nice truck
here's what I would do for a paint scheme https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M091 ... =4&pid=1.7
sand off some of the paint and get some other colors to show through
especially the stars and other markings

good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you like
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome aboard Chris! That's a nice project; feel free to use the search engine, or ask as many questions as you need to. Glad to have you with us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
CAM
PVT
PVT

Post by CAM »

Thanks Gary, I do have lots of questions but I will bring them up in small batches. I did make some progress this week with the steering wheel, now that the wheel is off I have some help coming Saturday to lift The cab off and get it on some dollies. Sunday is supposed to be warm again ( in the 40's ) so I'm hoping to roll the chassis out into the driveway and pressure wash it. then I have a month to get everything ready for blasting.
Last edited by CAM on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Munsey
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Good work! I'm waiting for the Spring thaw so I can tackle my leaking front and rear mains along with some other more minor fixes.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
CAM
PVT
PVT

Post by CAM »

So I have finally gotten to sit with my computer and camera to mess with downloading pictures, something I'm not great with. On with the truck, as it sits right now it has a coat of paint on the frame, and I just got all the brakes apart this past Monday. I am so glad I got the wheel cylinders the same time as getting the Master, as all of the wheel cylinders were solid corrosion. Once I get the bake parts all cleaned up, I will be able to start going in the other direction

I do have a question on a plate I found on the right side of the engine block, it is located under the exhaust manifold on the back end of the block and about four inches square.

If you can't make out the stamping they are, at the top the numbers - 216784 , then diagonally from upper left to lower right three x's , below the lowest x the numbers 11 space 70 . Does anyone know what this is?
Chris Munsey
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

It is a rebuild tag. If the printing was still intact, the "X"'s would be in boxes indicating overbore, rod journal diameter and main journal diameter. Also date or work order numbers. Mine was from Japan Material Command. Rebuilt Tokyo with .010 bore and .020/020 journals. Done in 1956.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
Marmalute
PFC
PFC

Post by Marmalute »

Looks like:
Standard bore
Main bearings -10
Rod bearings -20
At least the last time plate was stamped
Nice project!
Doug
CAM
PVT
PVT

Post by CAM »

Thanks guys
Chris Munsey
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I might have a picture of my rebuild tag that I can post, to give you an idea of how they looked when attached. I'll take a look and try to post it this afternoon.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
CAM
PVT
PVT

Post by CAM »

That would be great, thanks Gary
Chris Munsey
Cal_Gary