1952 M37 CDN Restoration

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Re: 1952 M37 CDN Restoration

Post by Jess »

Warren, I'm in Black Creek, north of Courtenay and often on an island off Nanaimo where a couple of my trucks live. I have been 4 days a week in Victoria for a couple of months and will be going back again in January for a couple of months. When that gets going again, I'll get in touch and would be great to visit.

Jess
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

Today's progress:

Front fenders off, windshield off, doors off. Thanks RMS for the tip on the door anchors. Radiator off. Air filter and carb off.

Last edited by R1830 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Progress: 1952 M37CDN Teardown
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Nice bit of progress already.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

Some more work done today despite a somewhat thick head due to New Year's Eve festivities.

Got the box sides off. They are pretty rotten. The entire box is actually. If anyone has one especially in Washington or BC let me know.

Also got a crate built to hold the parts as they come off. This way I can at least move the stuff out of my way.

Cheers and Happy New Year.
Last edited by R1830 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Check out this current add in Craigs list. He has a couple of bed sides and tool box floor that may be better than what you have. There are others that advertise M37 parts in dry country Tri Cities from time to time. https://bellingham.craigslist.org/pts/5932261540.html

For your bed bolts, you could weld a nut on top to hold the that end and cut them off later. They are different than carriage bolts, so worth saving if you can. Have fun....
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

Perfect, thanks Jess. That's exactly what I need.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

If you want a complete box, I'll ask my friend south of the border if he knows of any. Some time ago, there was a good straight box in Spokane that went cheap because it was listed form a year or so before he sold it. You should also hook up with RMS from this forum, he's in Richmond and has his finger on the pulse of the local M37 parts and owners around here. I'm pretty sure he could help you with some of your needs when you get there. I suggest a PM to RMS. If you have needs for other bits, I may have something useful but they will be virtually all 'take offs' from my parts truck. Unfortunately, the body stuff isn't worth anything and your bed looks new by comparison. We learn not to scrap anything as there is always somebody that is worse off than us. A consideration, if you are ordering any replacement panels from MWM, would be to throw in together and truck ship the parts to Sumas and import them ourselves. I have a freight drop there that I use infrequently but it saves the outrageous brokerage charges by couriers. PM me sometime once you know what you need/want and we can discuss.

Have Fun....

Jess
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

A bit of progress today, managed to get the box off. Fuel tank out, It was one dry and rust free so that will be helpful. Looked like there was a leak around the fuel return line that someone tried to jb weld and that is why I think they stopped using it.

Frame is looking pretty solid, except for the bent rear crossmember.

Last edited by R1830 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

just blasting through it 8) how was removing the box floor bolts :P

some one was pulling something heavy to banana that rear xmember
.............................. use it ...............
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

I was wondering if the crossmember was formed that way or it was bent, now I guess I know the answer. The box floor bolts didn't come easy. The 4 corners came off ok with some persuasion but the two centre bolts needed nuts welded to the top as they were just spinning in the rotten bed. One came loose but is probably not useable again due to rust. The other one sheared off.

Robyn did you get my email just before Christmas asking what body parts you have. I've got the parts covered now I think but I'm sure I will need more stuff later. Another friend of mine said he isn't receiving emails with attachments from that account so the problem may be on my end.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

You're making good progress. Once its all apart, you will have a better idea of what needs attention and what needs to be replaced. Bearings, seals and such are not to difficult to source locally and as you establish contacts here and locally, you will find others that may have stuff you can use. Ask RMS about how the trucks and parts have found him over the years.
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Jess
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

yes.. well... olive drab fever often compels the infected to amass and hoard parts that are green :mrgreen:
.............................. use it ...............
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

The last couple days have mainly been cleanup of parts already taken off. The left front fender has had all the lights etc removed.

The rear frame crossmember has been stripped down in preparation for straightening. The Pinole hitch didn't want to come off and a few of the bumperette bolts also put up a fight.

The box was stripped down. The floor and rear crossmember are pretty rotten. The other crossmember look not too bad.

Also managed to get down to Washington state and get some box sides and stop in Richmond to see RMS. impressive collection of all things M37 at his place. Also picked up some spare tires and rims for Jess.

Box sides

Hoping to get the cab off this week as well
Last edited by R1830 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1830
PVT
PVT

Post by R1830 »

Quite a bit of progress over the last couple of days.

Got the engine mostly stripped down and almost ready for removal, and the big one got the cab off.

Last edited by R1830 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

R1830,
Before you yank the motor could you snap a photo of the motor mounts? I'm curious to see how a 251 is mounted. I passed one up last year for cheap and want to know how hard to kick myself!

Thanks,

Andy