Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

k8icu
1SG
1SG

M37B3 Project

Post by k8icu »

Hi everyone,

If awards were given for the slowest project I would win every time. Started this in 2008 and 8 years later I'm still working on it. But that's what happens when you only get one Sunday afternoon every 4-6 months. You just don't get it done faster. But that is what happens when you work a full time job and run a full time business. Anyway if you haven't been up to speed on this project the idea of the project is what would have happen if in 1965-66 the US Army had decided to go on with the M37 and continued to make modifications to the truck much like the M35 did? So I'm very very very slowly making the M37B3. I had some time this past summer to do a little work. Here is a link to my website where I'm tracking the steps of the build. You can go back to the other pages to see the whole project from the start. Maybe in another 8 years I'll have it done... :D :roll: :lol:
http://www.leathernaturally.com/m37projectpagefour.htm
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Juan
SGT
SGT

Re: M37B3 Project

Post by Juan »

I like it.
Good to see somebody else is doing the same repower I did in my trucks years ago. Keep us posted.
Great Job.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Keep plugging, Joe! Not to one-up you but I took my time (due to finances) and it took me 11 years before mine was finally safe and road-worthy.

It's been well worth it, and a lot of fun to finally drive it once in a while. You'll get it done-just don't get overwhelmed along the way!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Mine took over 22 years because I traveled inspecting bridges for a living, not much home time.

Bridge pic in test sub-forum.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Thanks Carter. That makes me feel better. :)
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Considering what you started with, and the extent of the modifications that you're making, don't feel as if you aren't making headway. Funny thing about these projects, they seem to move slowly, and then some major task is completed and things will look much better.

Sometimes the support work takes more time (and money) than the actual truck. I'll be starting on my second shop addition this spring. :oops:
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Thanks Elwood... Hopefully in about a months time I will have a little more time to spend in the shop, but sadly I will not have as much money... :roll: But it will get done eventually.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Sometimes one needs to clean before moving forward

Post by k8icu »

So I had some time yesterday and thought I would work on the truck. I want to redo the motor mounts for the GM 6.2l diesel that is in there and thought well I'll pull the motor and trans out. Redo the mounts and put it back in. Well when you use your garage for more than just a garage i.e. workshop/tool shed etc. I quickly looked at what I wanted to do and realized that once the motor was out I would need someplace to put it while remaking the mounts and that heck I didn't have any place to put the dang thing. So I put everything back in place and now I'm starting to clean up the garage so that I can have room to work! Maybe when I get my pole barn built on my other property I will be able to have a workshop and then a garage and a tool shed all to themselves. Nah knowing me if I get more space I'll just find more crap to put into it....:lol: Once I get things cleaned up and get the mounts changed I'll post some picks. Just wanted to share that sometimes you have great plans and they go all the pieces.
NAM VET
1SG
1SG

Re: Sometimes one needs to clean before moving forward

Post by NAM VET »

I had most of my garage full of wood, tables full of removed and waiting to be cleaned and painted parts, sheet metal, hoists, engine stands, and so much more for more than a year. There were times it was so full and crammed and crowded that I had a hard time finding things like a radiator or fender. But slowly and surely, as parts went back on my truck, which was parked in my driveway, I could walk around without tripping on things or tools. I spent countless hundreds of hours in my garage or driveway, before my son and I finally heard our motor start for the first time. Here.....
[url=https://postimg.org/image/echxt9b5 ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I could use more space too, mine being a bit similar to Nam Vet's picture. My half of the garage is covered in spare parts, tools, P.O.L., etc. with a ton of additional parts, tools, et al in the basement that the Boss intends on making it a finished basement in the next year or two. Just running out of room.

And Joe, you're absolutely right-sometimes plans don't work out. In my case, getting a cold in May 2016 has delayed (to this day) my stripping off the bed and cab in order to blast the crud off my frame. Maybe some day....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I'll trade garages with you guys!? Once the truck is in there is almost NO room to move around it. It was a tight squeeze rebuilding my M-151 in there.

1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100
12/1952 M100 gone
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Indeed, single spaces can be difficult to maneuver in. I rented a single at our apartment complex when we moved to Utah-tight fit but I was left alone to work on it since it was at the end of the complex with nobody snooping around. And yes, tight fit clearing the door top, too. Fortunately I don't have that issue with the home we bought.
Gary
Attachments
day two paint.JPG
day two paint.JPG (30.04 KiB) Viewed 8712 times
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Mr. Cal_Gary when you get your truck standing tall - bring it to Durango Colorado and we'll take both trucks out to see the countryside around here! Looks like your getting close?
Dana Cook
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Okay so I got a little time in the garage and I was able to do a few things.

First I didn't like the steering column that I made as I couldn't get it to stay secure and well I didn't want to be driving down the road and have the column come apart on me. So I decided to use a M151A2 steering column. Was able to get an NOS one off fleapay and the great thing is the spline on the steering wheel is the same as the HMMWV so I'm able to use the HummVee steering wheel. Had to change the connector to a 3/4 round from a 3/4 Double D, but other than that it went right in.

I can't find my steering column clamp from the truck...it's someplace and I'll find it when I clean up here so for now I threw a u-bolt in there.

The other thing I wanted to work on was the headlight bucket. Since this is truck is suppose to be a B3 version I figured the Army would upgrade the headlight buckets to the system that has been mill standard for the last 50 years. I used headlight assemblies from a HMMWV and inside the bucket made some L brackets for the supports to screw into. This will allow me to assemble and disassemble the headlights, hook up wiring etc. I think they came out good.
Here is the old front.
New Front
Old from the side
And New side

It felt good to get into the garage again.
rickf
SSGT
SSGT

Post by rickf »

I LIKE the headlights! That is slick!
1953 M37
1964 M151A1
1967 M416
1984 M1008
4/1952 M100