Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Re: Brush Buggy Build

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

wow thanks for sharing the info on the water pump

I know where I'm gonna order parts from :)
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

Make sure the d- shaped water distribution tube in the block behind the water pump is not rusted out - or hot spots will result.
dozer_xj
PVT
PVT

Post by dozer_xj »

The tube looked to be in OK shape.

Got the manifolds on tonight. Slowly but surely

dozer_xj
PVT
PVT

Post by dozer_xj »

Rebuilt the carb and installed the electronic ignition.

dozer_xj
PVT
PVT

Post by dozer_xj »

I have had this back together and it JUST WONT RUN! It keeps flooding. I have a thread here on it:
http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... 936#p61936

My friend get the idea to run it off propane. He had his kit left from when he parted his jeep out. We decided to run it through the carb since that is how dual fuel set ups work. Still spits and sputters but wont run. When its spitting and sputtering my manifold vacuum is 30 inches.

I also bought a 97 f350 with a dana 60, 10.25 and a running 351w. I may use this motor with a 2wd np435 im going to pick up today.

In the mean time, Will Watson is still trying to convince me to get my 230 running. I have ordered Civilian plug wires and plugs to try.
He said "Civilian wires, on the distributor bend the core over the outside and shove it in the hole. The boots slid over the threads holds the wire in."
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

You got the spark wires on the dist in the correct order?

I am unfamiliar with using propane. However, to keep thing simple, let's take the fuel system out of the equation by just pouring a bit of fuel down the air cleaner pipe and turning on the choke.

It run? Yes - then :)
No - verify timing
Bad timing - fix it.
Good timing - check compression on all cylinders. If no compression - check valves (hanging/sticking open) and then head gasket. (I had a lousy sputtering 230 - cyl #6 piston was discovered in the oil pan :( Your good vacuum indicates the engine is in good condition and valves close/open well.)

Funny story (now) - Spark plugs - verify they work. I got 6 new NAPA plugs and 4 turned out to be bad. Gave me fits figuring out the problem - until the wife suggested putting the old plugs back it - of course, it promptly started and ran great. I have no idea why the 4 new plugs were bad.

Got decent spark at each plug? No - find out why
Yes? Then the problem is either bad fuel or camshaft flat b/c you ruled out the other big possibilities.

Hang in there. Your engine is very simple and forgiving. It wants to run.
dozer_xj
PVT
PVT

Post by dozer_xj »

So I was about to give up on the ol 230 and Will Waston talked me into trying civilian plugs and wires so I ordered some 7mm solid core wires from Rock Auto part # 3602 and AC Delco R45 Plugs

Cut them to length, wrapped electrical tape around them one time to make them fit tighter into the distributor, bent the wire over then pushed it into the distributor. Then you take the boot and push it over the threads.

Got the put on friday night, and tried to start it on propane with no luck. The vaporizer was not letting any fuel through

We took the propane stuff off, hooked the fuel back up, and heated the intake with a torch and boom! It fired up!

Here is a video
https://www.facebook.com/addial/videos/ ... 8297025856
dozer_xj
PVT
PVT

Post by dozer_xj »

After draining the fuel, refilling the tank and the fuel still looking nasty, I decided to have the tank boiled out at the radiator shop. Save me fighting it.

In true project fashion, got to have the cardboard list. The 12 volt conversion and some other stuff was added by one of my friends as a joke. The "drive to Roy Schmidt" is a car dealer in town that is having a car show next weekend. My goal is to drive it to that.

52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

a chevy s 10 tank is a bolt in replacement might be a better option
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL