Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

New M37 build .

Post by Northeaster79 »

Good afternoon everyone ,

I just joined the site a few days ago after recently getting my M37 .

Its a 1953 , Canadian version . A little rough around the edges to say the least , but it runs "ok" and has a decent cab and frame and all kinds of potential !

Just got a carb kit from the local parts store yesterday , hope to install that early next week . Have already cleaned and painted the gas tank so once the fuel system is back together it should work well .

I will attach some pictures shorty .
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: New M37 build .

Post by 52 M-42 »

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your truck! Looking forward to seeing your pictures of the truck.

Be sure to contact RMS on this website. He has a number of the Canadian trucks and is a wealth of knowledge on all things M37-Canadian.
Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

Ok , I will try my hand at adding pictures here .
Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

Adding them like that wasn't really what I had in mind , how do I change that ?
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

All fixed for you.....
Give Robi's post a read, it should explain a bit - http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=119

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

Thanks MonkeyMan .
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Welcome aboard! That's a nice project starter-lots of help available here, so feel free to post your many questions. Glad to have you with us!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

Thanks for the welcome Gary , I have gathered up a couple more parts over the last few days which should help . Tonight I am going to remove the remains of the winch bumper and the PTO . I am not going to use these and have traded them for an extra set of wheels .

I am going to remove the centers from the second set and ad them to a newer , wider wheel shell . But at this time finding 16 inch shells has turned out not too be as easy as I assumed !
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

You'll have some challenges fitting different parts to your rig-custom wheels can be found occasionally while some opt for adapters and gamma-goat tires and rims. I prefer the look of the NDTs but they're not very good in wet weather.
Keep us posted on your progress!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

I am going to build my own wheels I think Gary , been tossing around the idea of a one off set . get new centers made flat and go 17 inch .
Built a set of 15 inch ford wheels for the back of an old F100 I restored a few years back , they turned out rather well . Wanted the stock Ford centers with a ten inch wheel and the right backspace to put the tire where I wanted it with regard to the wheel well .

got a little more done last night , removed the pto , and that mess of a front bumper/plow plate set up . Makes it look better already .
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yeah, that one was creative but we've seen much worse!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

The weekend was pretty productive , Friday I took the old gasket from the pto to work and had one of the summer students make me a block off plate for it . Took it home and tried to fit it to the trans , no three holes would line up at any angle .

Then I thought about where I could find a cover . My family had a sawmill when I was growing up and I remembered there being a room at the back of one of the buildings having a few old transmissions in one corner . So Saturday afternoon I went down to find the floor very rotten in this building , but in the far corner there were the transmissions .

After falling through the floor once , I managed to score a good cover .

Later on Saturday I got it installed and the trans filled , the removed the mess of power steering that some "engineered" on the truck , also removed all of the old wiring hanging about .

Sunday I made some front brake lines and installed , strangely enough the front bleeders came right out and have never seize on them .

But even after getting the air out , and good pedal I still have no brakes , just having the front hooked up at this time , I would say the are stuck .
Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

Northeaster79
PVT
PVT

Post by Northeaster79 »

Think I may have found some parts , finally !!

Located a bed and a set of doors not too far away , going to go look at them this weekend .
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Sounds like you're making progress! Too much smoke drifting here from the Northwest to allow much work outside, but I did install a pair of lap belts in mine today.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W