Post by rcamacho »

Really nice build, I've had a few Mopar's in the past - 67 GTX 440, 65 Fury 383
'51 M37
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Re: 383 Mopar powered M37

Post by Drew M. »

Posting some info for others doing a front Dana 60 swap. I am using a GM Dana 60 dually. It has an 80" wms to wms - which makes the H1 wheels stick out 4" on the pass side and 8" on the dr side fender. It mounts to the oem lo ation for the leaf springs. My stock 1980's axle shafts are not tapered and can be shortened and re-splined for $120 per set per the Moser website rather than buying more expensive custom shafts. As at least 3.5" needs to be cut off the pass inner shaft, which means the narrower Dodge D60 with external locking hubs and 0.75" shorter inner axle shaft probably cannot be shortened as the seal surface would be in the splines.

Now to see if I can post pics of how to narrow the Dana 60 and maintain camber... nope. Files are too big.
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

As I am running a PTO driven winch with my 383, I wanted to pass along some info to make the install easier. Fram PH3614 or Mobil 01-104 are Mopar big/small block compatible oil filters that are at least 2" shorter and about 1" narrower than the typical Fram 8A filter (also - signifcantly smaller than the Fram 16). Using these mini filters works out to a bit less front cross member trimming and room for the PTO shaft.

YMMV
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

I'm running a mini filter also, way roomier, and as long as you change the filter regularly, it will make no difference.
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

57HemiCuda - I have see a few people report using the oem radiator w/o overheating using a big block. Do you know how much hp can the original unpressurized radiator handle? Also - which radiator did you use? It appears to be a FJ40 3-core.

I would prefer to re-use my radiator as it is in great shape (parked the truck and pulled the rad and sold off the 230 last month) and I am running a low-po 1971 383. [BTW: your initial w/p pulley had a huge diameter vs the tiny crank pulley - my engine has a huge diameter 4 groove crank pulley and a small single belt w/p pulley (It appears the engine was setup for a/c.)]

This weekend I will be doing the mounts for engine/trans and hopefully swapping NP435 main shafts to save 4.5" in length.

Once I am done swapping the main shafts I will have a extra NP435 trans case with a driver's side PTO opening for donation (free) if anyone wants it. This NP435 is out of a W500 - so it was designed for a hydraulic clutch/Swept body style. - Harrisburg PA
nhjohnny1
PFC
PFC

Post by nhjohnny1 »

Thanks to all for the inspiration and tech in this thread, or possibly i blame you all for what has happened.....
400 BB chrysler, still looking for the NP435 203 combo I need for a 203 205 doubler, chevy axles so ill be a tad wider, just found a D70 and am considering using that over the 14b because its more "dodge"
oh and humvee 12 bolts with the bfg mud terrains.
Now that I think about it, I hate you all...
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

400 BB - externally balanced - just like my 383. Who knew the last 383 engines were externally balanced? Came as a surprise when bolting it together. Make sure you get the correct flywheel balance from a 400/440 with proper external balance.
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Have to watch, some of the late 383/400 cranks weren't drilled for a 4 speed either. Funny the 383 and the 400 used the same crank, the later 400 heavy truck cranks were actually 383 pieces. You can always tell by the balancer, Wide balancer: cast crank/externally balanced. Narrow balancer: steel crank/ internally balanced. The cool part about the BB Chrysler is you can change the water pump housing to make it the lower radiator hose to dump on the Chevy side or the Ford/ Mopar side.

The radiator I used was a universal 3 core piece, ordered by size and neck placement off Amazon.

nhjohnny1
PFC
PFC

Post by nhjohnny1 »

Thanks for the info, im not a newer dodge guy but I was told a bit about what you guys are talking about but I will be studying up before it goes in, came with flywheel and was supposed to have had a 435 behind it.
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

Videos of big block Mopar engine install in a WC 1/2 ton that include options of making engine mounts/modify cross member. While not a M37, it involves the same issues, but with less clearance than our trucks. Good stuff:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5Rt5NggCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPui7JsMVAM
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Drives me crazy when Stacy David calls that a Power Wagon. Its a 1939 International cab with a Wc Power wagon front clip. If you look closely you can see how poorly the front sheetmetal fits. Doors, cab lines and back window are dead giveaways. At first I thought it was a Chevy G503 which looks like a P/W, but was wrong it is an International.

Top pic 39 International
Middle pic Stacy David's 39 International with a Dodge WC front clip
Bottom Dodge WC

Last edited by 57hemicuda on Fri May 06, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

Thanks for the info - I agree. Yet, it does appear to be the WC truck frame. The video is best for showing how to go about building custom engine mounts and things to consider to avoid problems later.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yeah, that's one of my pain points with Stacey. I have the old Trucks shows on disc when he began the Sgt Rock build. They pulled the plug just as he was getting the interior set up the first time around. i would have preferred that he be allowed to finish the first iteration before they let him leave. He's upgraded the front bumper two or three times since then....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Drew M.
CPL
CPL

Post by Drew M. »

http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g2_itemId=15606

I am doing the no frills version of 57hemicuda's work. I am still in the fabricating stage for the 383 install. The big differences between our swaps is I am using a 78 Bronco reversed steering box located at the crossmember and cross over steering; I used a GM dually rather than a narrower Dodge dually axle; I narrrowed my front housing to keep the wheels inside the fenders; and I am using a manual trans with PTO for the winch.

Pics added to gallery.
57hemicuda
PFC
PFC

Post by 57hemicuda »

Hell, mine is a no frills version of mine. LOL The crossover steering got a bit tight at the crossmember if I remember right, because the F150 box was the route I was going to go as well.