paint and primer

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

stravers

paint and primer

Post by stravers »

I am gathering materials for my first major job on my m37. My plan is to remove the bed and work on the vehicle from the cab back. In planning for repainting, i have a few questions.

First, does anyone have a specific primer they would recommend using for the vehicle?

Next, I have seen images of m37's in both flat and gloss finishes. Which is correct? My m37 is a 1962. I would like to keep it flat, however I would like to know which is correct. From what I can tell teh vehicle was assigned to the 82nd airborne division as a hq vehicle.

I also understand the olive drab shades have changed over the years. My son would like to keep the m37 as original as possible. However, with that in mind, I am not sure what the correct color would be?

Also, if could ask multiple questions here, does anyone have a good supplier for the primer and paint?

Thanks for your help,
Scott
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: paint and primer

Post by w30bob »

Hi Scott,

Paint is a touchy subject. There's a lot of info (and mis-info) out there regarding what the correct color/shade is for any particulare vehicle and model year. Check out the TM9 site for some basic paint info....

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/

To answer your questions directly, here's my take;

Primer will depend on the surface you're priming (duh). If you're doing a first class resto and taking everything down to bare metal you need to use either a self etching (acid) primer or an epoxy primer. If you're priming over existing paint and there's bodywork (bondo/plastic filler) you want to use a primer/surfacer. If you're priming over existing paint and there's no bodywork done then you want a primer/sealer.

If your M37 was made in 1962 it was painted OD 24087 semi-gloss. Early M37s made between 1950 and 1956 were painted OD 2430 semi-gloss. After that it was 24087. I'd say no M37s were painted flat OD from the factory, but the TM9 site does have evidence regarding very early M37s to dispute that. But for your '62 M37 you want 24087 semi. Check the photo gallery under Carter Davidson to see his M painted in 24087....it's a nice truck.

Everyone has their personal favorite for OD primer and paint. The main ones are Gillespie, TM9, and Aervoe....but there are others. Also, the major automotive paint manufacturers may be able to make you the correct semi-gloss, but their focus is on full gloss paint. There are links to all those suppliers on the MVPA links page or just google them individually for more info.

I hope I didn't complicate things further..... :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Hello Scott;
Have you tried the search feature here on this forum? I found over 100 results for paint and primer which should provide some guidance along with what Bob has said will allow you to answer many of your own questions.

30 some years ago when I painted my truck I had blast cleaned everything to very near white then applied a DuPont epoxy primer and IIRC was called Imron which to this day has kept the truck rust free. The top coat used was Gillespie 24087 semi-gloss because the truck had been through rebuild at Letterkenny Army Depot and had not been repainted with the factory original 2430 but with the shade then in use which was as Bob stated 24087. The paint on mine has faded some over the years but remains very close to the original color.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Now if we could just get Carter to pain that Jerry can to match.........

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just funnin',
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Uniformity is monotony. :wink:
Carter
Life Member:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Well said my friend....well said.

:D

bob
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Carter,

I love the second picture, what is that location?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

T. Highway wrote:Carter,

I love the second picture, what is that location?

Bert
That shot is of a grist (milled corn) mill built in the early 1800s located on the west bank of the Susquehanna River at Lapidum Maryland, a once thriving industrial village but now mostly destroyed by fire and numerous floods and river ice packs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapidum,_Maryland

That pic shows the overshot water delivery pipe being repaired , the work has been completed and the mill is now back in operation and is part of the state park system.
Carter
Life Member:
stravers

Post by stravers »

Guys, thanks for the great info. No, I didn't check the search feature. I should have, but I'm new to internet chat and discussion forums. Thank you for your patience.