dark green canadian

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: dark green canadian

Post by RMS »

iv made lots of progress over the last month.not many pics but lots of progress. I decided to make a harness from scratch. picked up 5 100ft spools of 14g wire. broke the harness down to 3 runs: rear, right front and left front. I started by laying a single wire for each run in its respected place and left long tails. better to be feet too long than inches too short. with the lengths figured out I removed the wire from the truck and stretched them out on the floor. with a separate wire for each light layed out in their respected runs the taping began. I put a small wrap of tape every 8 to 10in then fished the runs into the truck. I used heat shrink and crimps to make my connections as I am hopeless at soldering :cry: with the wire layed and connections made i loomed up the works, well except under the dash as i still need to make a main light switch plug. and install a turn signal. Image
I took many breaks from wiring to paint bits and bolts I had neglected. I also repaired and installed the speed'o cable Image

well i should get offline and back to the shop. happy wrenching
.............................. use it ...............
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

"I am hopeless at soldering"

9 times out of 10 its not the person, its the solder. The other one? Its the iron. Seriously its easy if you have the right stuff.

Keep the pix coming!

-jim lee
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

Jim i wish it were the solder but its just me........ I have problems with wood as well. you see every time i try to join two pieces of wood it just catches fire it doesn't matter if I use ark or torches it just bursts in to flame :? :lol: :lol:

finished up the wire over the weekend, well almost I still need to finish the horn and today I learned that I need to install a battery cutoff switch. thanks rawhit356 for the effect hope you get it sorted and thanks PoW for pointing out the cause.

with a break in the rain I used the opportunity to drive the truck out of the shop for a quick photo op and to get her turned around so I can install the drivers side rear fender.

Image ImageImage

the truck road very nice and felt tight only problem I had was the fuel gauge started smoking :shock: I don't know if there was moisture in it or if I wired it wrong :cry:
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

two weeks of pounding and the tail gate is almost strait. Image
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

today with help from terry we got the roof on and fixed the Z-ed windshield.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

finally got a piece of glass cut for the driver side windshield. they wanted an hour @ shop rate to install it in the frame. I opted to do it my self, the guy was kind and gave me two thicknesses of rubber for the gasket and told me to use thinners to help ease it into the frame. he said it also makes the rubber swell to make a good seal.
Image ImageImage
with the window in it was time to install the wipers, but could I find the acorn nuts ? no :x so I made my own.ImageImage
are they pretty? no but they work :D
after months of sitting the rear axle decided it wanted to puke its oil all over the floor. was it the pinion seal? no. was it leaking between the third and the housing? nope its leaking from an inclusion on the housing...good times :roll:
ImageImageImage
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

Looking Good Robyn,
Any of that white stuff over there? We had a dusting yesterday and its gotten cold. I was hoping for more sunshine but I guess the outside work is over for a bit. Did you et the tailgate finished? I'm looking forward to see how you made out with that rather ugly piece. I've located another M37 over here that is in better shape than any of mine. Now I just have to figure out how to get it home without the boss noticing...

Jess
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

hi jess

no snow over here, but she is cold. tail gate is finished and on the truck I will try and get pics next time she moves.
Jess wrote: Now I just have to figure out how to get it home without the boss noticing...
good score! as long as it was not a fire truck you should be able to hide it in a tree line or under some shrubs :wink:
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

she passed the cold start test over the weekend, my Canadian thermometer was reading -12 and it only took tens of seconds worth of cranking.

hey jess what do you think of the tail gate? it may still get a pioneer rack to hide the waves ImageImageImage
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

The gate looks great! I'll look for a before shot of when it was still on the yellow parts truck here. You've done wonders with it. I'm happy to see that it worked out for you. Now I just have to find someone to love the rest of the donor so I can bring one more home.

Have A Merry Christmas and a Safe, Healthy and Happy New Year!
Jess
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

RMS,

The truck is looking good, the tailgate looks 100% better.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

thanks Bert.

Installed a pioneer rack yesterday.......that tail gate is looking better. mount a shovel and most of the dents will be hidden. Image

cant get the temp gauge working. the head I installed is a early head with a small 1/2in sending unit hole. did any of the ww2 trucks come with a non mechanical sending unit? were they all like the powerwagon ? will I be drilling and tapping ?
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Your truck is looking great and has plenty of character! Great photography! 8)
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

all right I have drug my feet for too long........the oil pressure sending unit has been fixed..... temp on the other hand........I couldn't be bothered fiddling around trying to match a sender to a gauge...it will have to be drilled and taped to accept the stock 24v sender. something the new owner can play with. :wink:
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

dark green canadian for sale

Post by RMS »

the truck is listed for sale on cl : http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/5446961413.html

its time to start building that 265 long rod