Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Building a retro M37

Post by RMS »

WOW! beautiful 8) 8) 8)
.............................. use it ...............
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Really nice, turned out sweet! I'm jealous! :D
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

Looks great! I also went with a non traditional paint job, hope to have all the loose ends tied up by the end of this week. Here's a quick shot, I did the bedliner I thought it would be too much red without it.

51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Those are really nice, and I see I'm not the only one running Interco's on my M.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Retired guy,

Your truck looks great, I love the choice of colors. I think you will turn allot of heads while cruising it around.
I have a question about ride height on your truck. Are you using stock springs that you had re-arched or different leaf springs? Could you measure from the ground to the frame bottom in both the front and rear of your truck and let me know what you have? I like how it sits since I'm looking to have mine about the same.

TUKO,

I like the looks of your truck, you need to post up some pictures of it sitting outside in the sun to do it justice.

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

T. Highway wrote:Retired guy,

Your truck looks great, I love the choice of colors. I think you will turn allot of heads while cruising it around.
I have a question about ride height on your truck. Are you using stock springs that you had re-arched or different leaf springs? Could you measure from the ground to the frame bottom in both the front and rear of your truck and let me know what you have? I like how it sits since I'm looking to have mine about the same.

TUKO,

I like the looks of your truck, you need to post up some pictures of it sitting outside in the sun to do it justice.

Bert

You're right, it gets a lot of attention. Just got back from a car show and was approched by a collector car guy that wanted to do an article on it.
On the springs they are stock 93 3/4 ton suspention with no rearcing at all. I took the 6" lift block out of the rear set up so I could bring it down. I measured the front and rear frame hieght from the ground to the bottom edge of the frame and it is 27" in the front and 23" in the rear. That was right at the end of the frame also. Oh ya, the pictures I posted are in the sun. The yellow is so bright that the camera can't adust. I'll try it again on a less bright day and see what happens.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
Jesse19rap
PVT
PVT

Post by Jesse19rap »

You sir are an inspiration! Truck looks fantastic. Thanks for all the details throughout the build too!
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

great build thread! What is the new track width of the truck compared to the old? Dig the color too!
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

retiredguy wrote:A few more parts go on. Some of wanted to know about the fuel sender from Autometer. Here are the pics. The sender turned out to be the exact size for the tank hole, just the bolt holes did not line up so I made new ones.

This is the kit

I'm glad that I re-visited this thread after a couple of years! Question. I am looking for a new sending unit, one WITHOUT Douglas or Packard connectors, and NOT 24 volt water proof for my M-37.

Did this sending unit work out as well as it looked like it would? Did adding the extra holes to the top of the tank to bolt this unit on affect the integrity of the tank?

-T
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Should work fine, I used a similar one, Marineco, I think, also 12 volt. The new holes should not effect the integrity of the tank.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

The sender works very well. Making the new holes did not affect the tank at all.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

tbone1004 wrote:great build thread! What is the new track width of the truck compared to the old? Dig the color too!
the track width is about 4" wider I think, I don't have original diff to compare. These diffs are out of a 93 Dodge W250 so whatever the Dodge specs are.
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

retiredguy wrote:the weird thing about the front cab mounts is that they use the same bolt holes as the original cab mount brackets. Here you see I have made some box mounts. I have lowered the box down to the frame as low as possible. This was done to hide as much of the frame as possible. Makes it look more stock.

Is there any way you could provide some pics of the front cab mounts? I want to get an idea of what it might look like. Thanks
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I just took these. They are the original brackets, cut off and welded to the plate on the frame. that way I used the old mount locations and the running board brackets were use able at the same time.

Last edited by retiredguy on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Nice Job! Looks clean and simple.