Modern Repower

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Modern Repower

Post by Brett »

Well, I've started the V8 Swap into my M. I'm using a GM 4.8 v8 from a 2004 Express 2500 van. It came mated to a 4L80E. My plan is to use as much as possible from the donor van, and keep the budget as small as possible. I'm also planning on keeping a running tally of the cost of this swap. I've got the motor in the frame already, and fabbed up some motor mounts. Next up is a trans crossmember, and moving the t-case back a bit.
I had to offset the motor a bit to the driver side to clear the front diff with the oil pan
Here's a shot of my "free" motor mounts. They're made from the rear spring shackles, and some scrap steel I had lying around
Here's how I attached the mounts to the frame. this is the pass side. the driver side is very similar, but with only one bolt on the bottom, which is actually the lower bolt for the steering box.
There's not alot of room for exhaust on the driver side.
I think I'm gonna run the exhaust up and over the steering column. Then under the cab roughly in the space taken up by the clutch pedal travel. I picked up these Camaro manifolds off craigslist. they're welded sheetmetal, so I'm cutting off that huge flange, and modifying things a bit. I'll also be moving the coilpacks to below the manifolds to protect them from the heat.
There's not a ton of space between the trans and front drive shaft, but it should work.
This pic is with the trans pretty close to its final position. only minor changes will be needed to the Trans cover.
I think I can move the t-case back about 6", and have everything work. That will give me an intermediate shaft about 7"-8" long. Is that long enough?
The cost so far:
Van $900
Manifolds with new gaskets $50
Hardware and Flat stock for motor mounts $15
Total so far $965

Brett
Last edited by Brett on Mon May 24, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Modern Repower

Post by Brett »

My forehead hurts now from banging it on the key board. I thought I had this Pic posting thing figured out. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Brett
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Brett, It's because of the non-Mopar/Cumming Engine, Ha Ha.

Actually sorry I can't help on your picture problem, unless you are trying to post a picture that is local on your machine, then you need to upload an attachment through the tab below.

Offsetting the engine to the drivers side is correct, the stock engine was that way, as well as those of us who have done the V-8 swaps.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

Now that the pics are working I just need to remember what I did for next time.

Brett
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

Brett,

Nice fitting. Ah the Exhaust, good luck. I tore mine off and broke manifolds when I had them routed outside the frame under the cab/running board mounting brackets.

Keep the updates coming.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

look Ma, No distributor!

Looks good. I've wondered how the GM 5 cylinder inline 5 would fit as well. 5 cylinders make a GREAT sound!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

SEEMS TO BE COMING OUT NICELY MAN. I HOPE THAT THE ENGINE STILL HAS LOTS OF LIFE LEFT TO IT, AND THAT YOU WILL NOT NEED TO SPEND TO REPAIR MANY THINGS IN IT. WHY DID YOU TURN THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD UPWARDS? DO YOU PLAN ON GOING WITH DOUBLE STACKS THROUGH THE HOOD?
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

The van only had 74k miles on it when it was hit hard in the rear. The exhaust is turned up for clearance, it will run under the cab.

Brett
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

I could really use some advice here as I proceed. Is 7" between the Centers of the u joints Long enough for the prop shaft between the trasmission and the transfer case. It will be a solid shaft due to the slip yoke output of the trans. I'm hoping to start working on relocating the t-case this weekend.

Thanks
Brett
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Brett, Make sure that it has 2 U joints in it. I've seen people try to get away with a single U joint with a slip yoke and it will not work right for several reasons. I would think that you should be able to get 2 joints in a 7" shaft. A good place to get a custom shaft made is Machine Service Inc. in Green Bay, WI. I've had them make 3 shafts for me in the past and have had good experience with them. They'll be making the new rear shaft for mine here in a few weeks.

Josh
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

My driveshaft is less than 9" long, extended. It's oem from a '43 Chevrolet CMP. It has 1350 series u-joints.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Breet, how goes the progress? I am VERY interested in this, as I was considering a Dodge 4.7L HO for a while there, and wonder how smaller V8s do with such a heavy truck.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

How goes the progress? Very slowly. I have not had near as much time as I thought I would this year, as work has been very busy(good problem to have if you're in construction). I've really only been able to spend a couple of hours at a time on it, so I've been working on some smaller projects. Trans and transfer case mounts are done. Driver side coil packs have been moved to below the head, and harness extended for that. I've added a column shifter to the original steering column using parts from the van column and also hooked up the shift cable. I modified the trans cover to fit over the new trans and close up the hole for the original shifter. I've mounted the ignition switch from the van into the dash. This simplifies the wiring since I'm using the van harness, and alows me to lock the shifter in park when the key is not in the run position. I've removed the clutch and original gas pedal, and closed up the holes for them in the floor board. And I'm currently in the process of mounting the gas pedal and cable from the van. I figure another 1000 hrs or so and I'll be almost done.

Brett

BTW Josh Congrats on hitting your "deadline" for getting your beast running.
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Brett »

ITS ALIVE...

Well It officially made noise this afternoon, and it sounded great. I got everything far enough along a couple of weeks that it should have been able to fire up, but I was getting no fuel. After much head scratching, and consulting experts It worked today. All I had to do was reprogram the anti-theft system. I forgot that when I got my van parts that the guy gave me the steering column from a different van because the airbag was still good on the one I got. Anyway the computer didn't recognize the security signal from that ignition switch. After 3 attempts at reprogramming the anti-theft (I was struggling to follow some very simple instructions) It fired right up with a nice healthy exhaust note(open exhaust), that settled into a smooth idle. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm excited and ready to get it on the road. I'll try and get some pics up soon to give you guys a better idea of how its coming along.

Brett
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

AND ONE MORE THAT DRAWS BREATH AGAIN!!!!! :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.