Rebuild progress all in one thread

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Rebuild progress, Thread #2 (3/2/10) PG 7

Post by monkeymissile »

Master Yota wrote: We as engineers are not usually satisfied with a happy ending. The craving for an answer to a problem is what drives us. We are not measured by our sucess's or failures, but by our tenacity at finding the impossible solution.
I like that, gonna steal it. Hang in there Josh, take a break for a while. The answer may just pop into your head while doing something totally different (perhaps yoga)
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
Rich
CPL
CPL

Post by Rich »

Josh,
Hang in there, sometimes it takes a little time to sort through, WE ARE ALL ROOTING FOR YOU!!!
keep up the good work!
Rich Szklany
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

took some screenshots and posted them up on the megasquirt forums. Guys over there are helping me out a lot. I had some things backwards.

Figured out the reason for the flooding. The injectors have to be tied to a SWITCHED 12V source... doesn't show that in the harness diagram (the one that comes with hte EFI, not mine), so I had them hard wired. Changed that, and it has stopped flooding as badly.

Have started working on some other lttle projects I was going to do later, jsut so I feel as though I am still making progress. Got teh front winch cable wound on, works good.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

That's the spirit! Remember trouble shooting 101. Look for the small problems first. I was a PC tech many moons ago it always amazed me that when ever a server had a problem the engineers would go to big problems first bad mother board, bad HDD array etc. 9 times out of 10 it was something simple and small like power cord was unplugged or data cable was loose. Look at the small things and it will fire. A motor needs 3 things to work. Air, Fuel and Spark. Get all three in the right combination and it will run.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Josh, I when I saw you inquiring about the Diesels I figured I would come back here and see whats going on, figuring you hit another hangup. "If ever again"? What sort of talk is that?. Don't throw in the towel , nonsense. :mrgreen:
HANG IN THERE. You will figure it out. We are all pulling for you here brotha 8).

PS: A little prayer never hurts either :) I have never told this story here until now.
When I was going through that grief two years ago with my rebuilt engine not starting I sat on the back porch step one night thinking I was ready to put my whole project on eBay or cut it up for scrap. :cry: So I asked the big man upstairs for help. I also asked my deceased father for help. "What am I missing"? I asked. About ten seconds later a shooting star went over the garage. The next day I found that issue with the reman distributor and after 3 months of pulling my hair out and throwing wrenches, the engine was running within the hour :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

HingsingM37 wrote:Josh, I when I saw you inquiring about the Diesels I figured I would come back here and see whats going on, figuring you hit another hangup. "If ever again"? What sort of talk is that?. Don't throw in the towel , nonsense. :mrgreen:
HANG IN THERE. You will figure it out. We are all pulling for you here brotha 8).

PS: A little prayer never hurts either :) I have never told this story here until now.
When I was going through that grief two years ago with my rebuilt engine not starting I sat on the back porch step one night thinking I was ready to put my whole project on eBay or cut it up for scrap. :cry: So I asked the big man upstairs for help. I also asked my deceased father for help. "What am I missing"? I asked. About ten seconds later a shooting star went over the garage. The next day I found that issue with the reman distributor and after 3 months of pulling my hair out and throwing wrenches, the engine was running within the hour :wink:

So what made you actually check the reman distributor David?
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

THE BEAST LIVES!!!! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

:twisted:

Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

oh, and YES, I heard the PS pump whining in pain. I swapped the lines around on the tie rod cylinder, and limped it out of the garage:

k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: Rebuild progress, Thread #2 IT LIVES!!!! PG 18

Post by k8icu »

YEAH!!! I knew you could do it Josh! What was the hold up? Truck looks good. Maybe someday I'll get mine done.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

didnt have enough dwell time in the coils to get a full charge, and I had the wrong trigger type for them selected. switched the trigger type and upped the charge time from 2.5mS to 5.5mS and it lit right off!
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

SEE??? AND YOU WANTED TO GIVE UP!!!! AWSOME JOB MAN, BUT AS YOU REALISE WE ALL EXPECT A VIDEO OF IT ON YOUTUBE TO SEE IT MOVE ON ITS OWN POWER AND HEAR THOSE TURBOS. :D
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Yeah! What SOTVEN said!! :D
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

I'm really happy for you man, sounds pretty smooth. Looking forward to more video clips of it an action
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

CONGRATS JOSH...We knew you could do it..awesome looking rig . I want to hear those turbos as well :mrgreen: . :D

To answer your question M37UK: The FORCE...coincidently the next day I had the cap off on the reman while it was installed in the engine for the first time. Low and behold the rotor was at the two oclock position at TDC. It was not assembled right by the rebuilder. :wink:
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

thanks guys. Still have a ton of work to do, but, if it snowed tonight and I had to store it for winter, I would be ok with it. I made it my goal, everything else from here forward is just a bonus!