M37 Registry Count 1063 Trucks Registered!
g741.org
M37 Discussion Forum
M37 Registry
Latest Entry

1952 M37
Gayle in Texas

Home Pics Parts list Production dates Production changes Contract numbers Tech Manuals Specs MilSpec Docs Links

Just another engine build thread. Sort of.

Build and Restoration Threads Belong Here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, nivek, robi, Monkey Man

Re: Just another engine build thread. Sort of.

Postby just me » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm sure it doesn't come in the kit because only the military used the bolt on pipe. I have a drawer full of gasket material. Even some real Garlock. Since my previous hobbies of old tractors and hit and miss engines required me to make my own gaskets for everything, I got reasonably proficient at cutting them by hand.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
just me
SFC
SFC

Postby just me » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Three steps forward and two steps back. The oil pan is leaking. Not the gaskets. The pan. I get to remove enough stuff to flop the engine e on its side and pull the pan. I may weld a new bottom in it or just try and locate an NOS one.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
just me
SFC
SFC

Postby Elwood » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:49 am

Leaking pans must be fairly common. I have two flathead six oil pans that have rusted through in the bottom. One of them hadn't started leaking yet since it was so full of sludge that it had essentially self-sealed. I was cleaning it in the parts washer when I realized I could see through the sump. :shock:

Must be from neglect (failure to change the oil regularly) or long periods of just sitting. Any water in the engine oil settles to the bottom and eventually rusts through the pan from the inside out.

I recently disassembled the stock fuel pump from one of these same engines, and the lower cover of the vacuum side was rusting through from the inside. Not surprisingly, it too was full of engine oil.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Elwood
SFC
SFC

Previous

Return to Builders Blog